What's new

TS 1079 Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

evilnewbie

Occasional Visitor
I am new to this NAS thing and had several questions...

1) I know the 1079 Pro can fit 10 hard drives, can I put in 10 4TB hard drives for 40TB? Is there a maximum hard drive space limit?

2) Can I allocate hard drives to certain areas? Like I want hard drive 1-6 to be shared in my local network (read only) and hard drive 7 to be my backup hard drive, and hard drive 8-10 will be miscellaneous data storage (read/write privileges)...

3) I mentioned that I want hard drive 7 as a backup hard drive. I have head you could do a VPN connection to an external hard drive by the internet for backup. I have an office 10 miles away and would like to backup every night. Is this possible with this NAS?

4) I also would like to encrypt hard drive 7 with TrueCrypt. How do I do something like that with a NAS? Do I plug it into my computer and encrypt it and then physically move the hard drive and plug it into the NAS?

5) Can I build a website on this NAS (say hard drive #10) so that other people can look at it on the internet? Do I have to purchase a hosting website or pay some kind of monthly/annual fee to do this?

That is all I can think of right now, thanks..

1. If you look at the list of officially supported harddrives they do list the Hitachi 4TB drive, so that means you can put 10 x 4TB drives in.

2. Yes, you can set up multiple volumes using specific harddrives for each volume.

3. I see no reason you cannot do this. Out of the box the TS 1079Pro supports rsync.

4. AES-256 is supported for encrypting volumes. There may be an app that would allow you to use TrueCrypt.

5. You are able to host a web site from this NAS. There is also a built in web based file browser that you can most likely expose to the outside world.