What's new

TS-220 in SOHO, need help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

glycerin256

New Around Here
Hello, SNB!

I have a QNAP TS-220 that I want to set up for a friend. Currently, the NAS has 2 3TB HGST Deskstar NAS in RAID 1. The router is a Netgear R7500. Here is what I want to set up, I'm just not sure how to do it. They have 3 Win7 machines running with 480GB SSDs, one of which will be remote soon.

Requirements:

- It needs to be used as a database machine to hold the database for the following: MS Access based CRM program, Quickbooks Pro 2011 and if possible Sage ACT! 2011 Pro. (shouldn't be a problem, no special setup required, just users with permissions)
- It needs to be able to host a web portal for the program based in MS Access that will be accessed by technicians in the field (not worried about this, I've been told it's not a problem and the software company is setting it up remotely).
- Back up 2 local machines and 1 remote machine (all Win7) for the user below...
- Have remote access to an out of town office worker for said programs/databases and backup (that has 100mbps down, 10mbps up internet) (Going to use the VPN server on the NAS)

Specifically, I need advice on setting up the backup. This is to protect them if they have a hardware failure on their machines or DL malware. What is the best way to do it? Is there a program that can be on the win7 machine to automatically set multiple differential backups from multiple machines to the NAS? I am thinking that they backup on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday around 2am, 3 separate backups for each machine. Can I use a Windows backup utility to do this? Should I do this with iSCSI on the NAS or is that just making it more difficult for not much benefit?

The users are not technically inclined, so I want to make it as trouble free and automatic as possible.

I want to explore the possibility of this NAS being backed up to my TS-451 remotely or to a cloud service.

If I can provide any more information, please say so. I am here to learn from all of you, so any explanations or resources you can point me to will be vastly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.