What's new

TS-431 Optimizing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dave Parker

Recently purchased a Qnap TS-431 and 4 new Western Digital 3TB red drives. Last night I set it up in a RAID 5 configuration which seemed to be the best option for storage capacity and redundancy in case of a drive failure. Question is dashboard says optimizing and it is at 60%. Exactly what is being optimized and why is it tacking forever. Been over 16 hours. Drives are new and there is nothing on them. Very much a novice at networking and could write all I know about NAS and RAID on a small post-it note in large print. I know there is much knowledge here at SNB. Any advice would be appreciated.

It's building out the array - MDADM (which is a background item that facilitates the RAID) needs to create the parity bits across all the elements of the RAID set.

This is normal - and should be complete in about 20-24 hours...

It's building out the array - MDADM (which is a background item that facilitates the RAID) needs to create the parity bits across all the elements of the RAID set.

This is normal - and should be complete in about 20-24 hours...
Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to wonder. As I said, very much a novice but I enjoy playing with these toys. I'm retired and computer's and networking are mostly a hobby but I do have a lot of stuff like digital photos, movies, etc that I do not want to lose. Thanks again. I knew there would be an answer here.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!