What's new

Turn RT-AC5300 into a Dual Band Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mploc

New Around Here
Is there any feature in the merlin firmware that will make this router function as a duel band router? I have an issue where several of my clients (Nest Cameras, Amazon echo, and DirecTV Genie) refuse to connect to the network if smart connect is enabled. Running three separate networks is not exactly the same because if you only use one of the two 5ghz networks, you have to choose to either use the one with the upper band or the one with the lower band, unlike duel band.

I don't see the difference between keeping Smart Connect disabled and a regular dual band router. Just don't connect anything to the third band, it will work exactly the same as a dual band router. A dual band router can only have the 5 GHz channel set to one single channel, be it a lower or a higher channel anyway.

Well changing a channel with a single 5ghz band is easier than having to associate it with a different ssid to get the channel I want.

Well changing a channel with a single 5ghz band is easier than having to associate it with a different ssid to get the channel I want.

I often do you change your channel? This is something that is typically never changed, unless something changes in the environment, requiring tweaks.

Is there any feature in the merlin firmware that will make this router function as a duel band router? I have an issue where several of my clients (Nest Cameras, Amazon echo, and DirecTV Genie) refuse to connect to the network if smart connect is enabled. Running three separate networks is not exactly the same because if you only use one of the two 5ghz networks, you have to choose to either use the one with the upper band or the one with the lower band, unlike duel band.

It is dual band, 2.4 GHz and 5GHz(split in 2) Band means range of frequency spectrum. Just don't bother with lower channels of 5GHz then. For reasons higher channels give bit better signal strength.

Just don't bother with lower channels of 5GHz then. For reasons higher channels give bit better signal strength.

I don't think that is true for a long time now.

you have to choose to either use the one with the upper band or the one with the lower band, unlike duel band.

to answer your question yes you can just disable the lower 5 gig band by going to wireless /professional , select the lower 5 gig band and just disable the transmission , eg click no to the Enable Radio

sometimes ppl forget to answer the simple questions with a simple answer

I don't think that is true for a long time now.
Still is even if power level is lowered. I think antenna is tuned towards higher channels, showing better
SWR.

Still is even if power level is lowered. I think antenna is tuned towards higher channels, showing better
SWR.

It may have been in the past, but this was a firmware restriction that was removed afaik.

It may have been in the past, but this was a firmware restriction that was removed afaik.

Yes the newer routers now put out the same power on the low channels as they did on the higher 5 ghz channels this is now allowed per upgraded FCC rules.

per upgraded FCC rules.

so that only covers the states , there are many many regions that have not adopted the same and they do have lower power on the lower 5 gig channels as compared to the higher 5 gig channels

so that only covers the states , there are many many regions that have not adopted the same and they do have lower power on the lower 5 gig channels as compared to the higher 5 gig channels

Ok sorry sometimes i forget this forum is world wide. I certainly can't speak for regulations in other countries. o_O

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!