What's new

[SOLVED] Turned off outbound filtering and qos for upload still incredibly slow upload speeds?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

androsynth96

Occasional Visitor
[SOLVED]:
net.core.default_qdisc = fq_codel, disable bbr

I'm on fios gigabit using cakeqos and I can definitely get 500 or 700 mbit while on ethernet, but my upload tests at 50mbit
If I can disable the firewall and logging at least I get a few hundred
USB 3.0, smart connect wifi, I already tried turning on trend micro and that did nothing
Do I need a new router?

Last edited:
You're getting 500-700 over ethernet, so must we just assume the 50mbit is over WiFi?
More info please - router model, firmware, WiFi band (but I wouldn't be surprised if the last was 2.4GHz).

I'm on fios gigabit using cakeqos

I don't know about upload speeds issue, but CakeQoS can't do Gigabit. Limited to CPU packet processing capabilities, NAT acceleration incompatible.

It's an AX88U all over Ethernet. With Skynet turned off and all firewall and logging turned off I can get a few hundred on the upload. CakeQOS with ack filtering seems to work fine. So you think I should just turn it off altogehter or use FlexQOS? And no, nothing over wifi, using the latest Merlin alpha firmware.

Turn the Firewall back on and think about what exactly do you need Skynet and QoS for.

I have it on. But I'm trying to debug the slow upload speed.
As I said, I'm getting nearly what i should be getting for download speeds. Although I have cakeqos turned on I also have flow cache and runner enabled, I enabled them by hand in the command line.
It doens't make sense why I would be getting only 50 mbit upload on ethernet. I even replaced the cables with new, way overpowered cables.
I did a test with iperf and iperf3 and getting 940 mbit from my computer to the router.

Although I have cakeqos turned on I also have flow cache and runner enabled, I enabled them by hand in the command line.
That’s not a supportable configuration.

@androsynth96, you're using scripts that are not needed for 1Gbps speeds. Not only are they not needed, they are actually detrimental to your online experience. As you're reporting here.

OK, but if I disable QoS, I still get 50 mbit upload. It's the firewall skynet thing that is doing it.

Also with QoS disabled I get 15ms of buffer bloat on the upload test.

Last edited:
The Skynet thing is an IP-blocker, not a firewall. Make sure you need the custom scripts you install.
I know what it is. I'm talking about the fact that on the Firewall page Skynet needs to log dropped packets. That option kills my upload. I turned off almost all other logging. If I disable that option and skynet (because skynet keeps turning it back on) then my issue goes away. So yes I want Skynet. And I don't want that logging turned on. Or have it not kill my upload.

Btw, the QoS+Runner+Flow Cache thing, is it supposed to be CPU? Because I look at CPU when running these tests and nothing happens.

Is it the USB issue? Is there a way to mount all logs in tmpfs?

And I don't want that logging turned on.

Skynet requires logging turned on. You have some decisions to make. Your built-in firewall drops all unsolicited inbound connections by default, silently on the background. You can enable dropped packets logging without Skynet and see what happens to your upload. Your system log will be jammed by firewall messages though.

Is it the USB issue?

If what you use is a common USB stick - your router is as reliable as the USB stick. They fail often with this type of use. More decisions to make.

This is my usb stick https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM/?tag=snbforums-20
it claims to do 400mb/s.

So is the solution from this forum that if I want to use skynet or some kind of ipset based blocking I need to accept 50mbit upload speeds?

If so, I'll probably just abandon asus routers and the asuswrt merlin firmware and go back in the market for a solution.

It should be possible to get decent upload and also have an ipset based blocking solution.

I'm on fios gigabit using cakeqos and I can definitely get 500 or 700 mbit while on ethernet, but my upload tests at 50mbit

What is your speed capability according to the billing? For example 500 down/50 up...

another thing - try without QoS using either Cloudflare or Waveform's speedtest sites - they tend to be more accurate and grade the connection under different loads compared to either Speedtest.net or fast.com

it claims to do 400mb/s.

You are limited by the routers CPU again to about 100MB/sec. Device's specs don't matter.

So is the solution from this forum that if I want to use skynet or some kind of ipset based blocking I need to accept 50mbit upload speeds?

You have an issue most users around apparently don't have. I personally know little about your configuration.

It's a symmetrical gigabit connection. If I hook the computer by ethernet directly to the ONT box I get pretty close to 800 both ways.

If most users don't have this issue maybe there's something I can fix.

If I'm CPU limited how come the htop only shows CPU usage around 5%?

You perhaps don't need QoS on symmetrical Gigabit ISP. Your router has USB 3.2 port, but it can't reach the maximum USB 3.2 specs speeds. USB transfer is up to about 100MB/sec and with big size files only. The router relies heavily on NAT acceleration for WAN-LAN speeds over 400Mbps. You have to make sure the options you select don't interfere with Runner and Flow Cache. I don't know why your upload is limited. You can test clean with close to default settings and with stock Asuswrt. If all good - investigate what's going on between your custom configuration and custom scripts. You can troubleshoot it yourself.

Gigabit symmetric - you don't want the QoS solutions, and you won't need them. The Router portion of the SoC needs runner/flowcache (e.g. fast path) to get decent performance for those link rates...

QoS (cake or others) has to use the slow-path, running everything thru the kernel, it's fine, but you run out of clocks fairly quickly.

For your USB share - it's there, but it's not optimal, as @Tech9 mentions, the USB port PHY connection might be USB3, the smb processes have to run at a lower priority compared to other tasks that the router has to cover...

USB file shares on a router - it's not a network attached storage solution - if you need real performance there, QNAP and Synology offer better (and more secure) solutions.

Blame marketing perhaps...

OK, but if I disable QoS, I still get 50 mbit upload. It's the firewall skynet thing that is doing it.

Also with QoS disabled I get 15ms of buffer bloat on the upload test.

Try withdrawing all permissions in Administration, Policy.

Then, reboot the router via the GUI.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!