What's new

TVS AMD based NAS and thoughts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sony's PS4 - this is what I have, and it's a great console.. but PSN is a value add, and again, costs money after the fact. PSN is not absolutely required, if I recall, but without it, options are pretty limited as we all have discovered when PSN goes down from time to time..

Yes, many PSN and PS+ features require a subscription. However, Sony doesn't lock services that the user has already purchased (Netflix, local multiplayer games, etc.) behind a paywall, which Microsoft has done in the past and continues to do for some services.

Let me put it this way. If I want to use my PS3/PS4 the same way as I use my Sony bluray player, I can. I paid Sony for the equipment. I can watch DVDs, watch Netflix, stream music via DLNA, and in the case of PS3/4, I can play single player games that I legitimately purchased all for no extra charge.

At one time, none of that was true of Xbox (and some of it remains to this day) and for me, that's unforgiveable.

AMD is a budget CPU for the budget minded who can afford to handle the budget reality that comes with justifying the purchase in the first place. - No matter how much one psychs themselves out, Intel is far superior and that's not an opinion. Facts are facts, numbers are numbers, and results are results.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be a huge fan of AMD, but there's no reason for any techie to not go with Intel unless money is an issue. (Even then...save up your pennies and skip out one a few cups of coffee and do yourself a favor of spending your money wisely...in this case on Intel.)

It is an odd move on QNAP's part, but if you look at it from a point of diversification for the budget minded, I guess it's a good thing. As many of you have mentioned, it's important also keep in mind that in a NAS environment, the under dogs or snails can get by for the most part.

I have a TVS-463 and it's excellent. Plenty of HP to do everything I want it to (except one thing) and I'm happy with it.

The thing it can't do: I have a Windows 10 VM on it and when I turn on a VPN connection the throughput reduces to nothing. Encryption/decryption it seems really taxes the AMD processor.

Last edited:
I have a TVS-463 and it's excellent. Plenty of HP to do everything I want it to (except one thing) and I'm happy with it.

The thing it can't do: I have a Windows 10 VM on it and when I turn on a VPN connection the throughput reduces to nothing. Encryption/decryption it seems really taxes the AMD processor.

At the end of the day, that's all that matters. Glad your happy with the unit. I've never thought about this, but I wonder if the AMD is overclockable? Hmmmm...

Overclocking might lead to USB or SD card clocking issues.

It'd be fun to try (at least to me), but I don't know if the AMD G-Series can handle it. Overclocking can lead to many issues as it is nothing new.