What's new

TVS-x71 (PT, i3, i5, and i7) CPU+System+HD Temperture? Plex New Transcoder = High CPU usage/temps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What's the highest CPU Temp you've seen on your NAS under full load?

• 65C

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 66C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 67C

• 68C

• 69C

• 70C

• 71C

• 72C

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 73C

• 74C+

• Total voters
meh, cribbed them off a German Web Site that was interested in tweaking the *70 series... not my stuff, I've got a J1900 with the passive little thing one would expect, lol... I grabbed and shared these to put things into context for others that might follow the discussion

The heat pipe radiator, based on those pics, is not well placed, IMHO... might work for a celeron or pentium chip, but going into the Core i5's and i7's, I can understand why they throttle, just not enough HS to displace the heat..

Oh ok. Nevertheless, it's a nice shot. As for the tight environment inside the NAS with that cooling set up, I agree that it could use a little more air flow. However, it seems to be doing okay....maybe an upgraded fan for the right side would help in pulling the air out...

I'm still amazed how QNAP didn't add a function to adjust the fans according to the CPU temp....maybe in the future updates they'll add that in. Who knows...

Too bad space is so tight - getting something like the C7 cooler would solve most issues...

http://www.cryorig.com/news.php?id=49&page=1

That would be sweet! Only if it wouldn't blow straight onto HD1. It's funny because I've been contemplating on a little project myself with building a custom case for the NAS using something clear just for giggles. Of course all the stock configuration would have to stay intact, but if I could add a fan on the front right above the power and USB port to blow in and one to blow in from the top, that would be very nice. With of course upgraded fans for the rear.

Heck...why not...this may be my next fun project as I have access to a shop with everything that I would need to make it work. It'll be fun.

Well, FWIW, the cooling solution in your pic would be ideal for the Baytrail based boxes - as they very aggressively clock down - better thermals, better performance, eh?

Room temps, not much of a problem, but this past week in SoCal, we've had 100+ temps (F, no water boiling), and ambient has been pretty warm...

Well, FWIW, the cooling solution in your pic would be ideal for the Baytrail based boxes - as they very aggressively clock down - better thermals, better performance, eh?

Room temps, not much of a problem, but this past week in SoCal, we've had 100+ temps (F, no water boiling), and ambient has been pretty warm...

Wow, those are some blazing temps! How did your idle temps look? System and HD's?

It's cooled off a bit outside, but the office is still pretty warm - 95 degrees

Pretty much idle except for a VM servicing my WAN interface, but there the load is low...

453_warm.png
s...

It's cooled off a bit outside, but the office is still pretty warm - 95 degrees

Pretty much idle except for a VM servicing my WAN interface, but there the load is low...

View attachment 4473 s...

Not too shabby for having an ambient of 95F!

Delid Complete:

The results are awesome....it did the trick.

delidfornas_iunlock-jpg.4543

Attachments

• DelidForNAS_iunlock.jpg
    DelidForNAS_iunlock.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 753
The Delid is compete. I'm very happy with the results:

delidfornas_iunlock-jpg.4550

Attachments

• DelidForNAS_iunlock.jpg
    DelidForNAS_iunlock.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 819
Last edited:
Cool! If you want to really ramp it up and test the upper limits, ssh in and echo a thread...

yes > /dev/null

is a nice stress test, and one can string them along across all cores - so for 4 cores/threads..

# yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null​

to stop, just ctrl-c and then kill them all...

# killall yes​

will stop all the threads/tasks behind that little stress test...

What can I say? You're crazy! :D

Crazy in a good way perhaps - the QNAP desktop case design is perhaps a bit lightweight with regards to airflow for the big intel chips - they can pump a lot of heat very quickly, and the stock cooling solution is probably right at the margin...

BTW - after replacing the TIM, did you re-use the heat-spreader?

Yes, I put the stock heat sink back on, however, I am looking into this SLIM SilverStone closed loop cooler as I think it'll fit pretty well. I've measured everything and everything looks good. The only thing is the wiring. I know the wires for the power, but as for the other wires I'll need to do a little more digging to get that figured out. Any ideas?

Last edited:
What can I say? You're crazy! :D

Haha! Thanks...It was definitely worth it, at least for me. My ambient temps are only 22C, which is normal, however what is not normal is that my NAS is worked hard all the time. With multiple people streaming and using VM's it really takes a beating so the CPU is always revving in the 75-80%+ range. Bizarre I know...

I'm now looking into the SilverStone closed looped SLIM cooler and trying to figure out the wiring first before I order one. I would love for the i7 to have its own cooling. The stock dinky cooling unit is way under rated for the i7 IMO. Especially for those who run it hard like I do.

Update: Now that I've measured from on top of the CPU to the HD1, inside the case, that area is only about 1.75 inches....therefore, since the SilverStone coolers hose from the water pump all point straight up without being able to bend, I may have to opt for the Intel BXTS13X instead as those hoses run out to the side as you can see here.

Any ideas on the wiring? The pump itself needs a 12v to itself. As for placing the water block on top of the CPU, it'll fit perfecting in the space that's there, but the only thing I'm curious about is how the hoses from the water block go straight vertical. I'm curious how much those hoses can be bent?

Here are my ideas: (Crazy, but I'm definitely going to do it.)

A.) Modify the back metal plate of the NAS to fit the radiator and fans inside the unit to replace the stock fans. I might need to cut out the rear metal plate to customize the fit, but that's okay. I have the tools to do that. There is enough room on the inside for the radiator and fan to fit inside the box, however, I want to refrain from the radiator to be right up against the back side of the Hard Drives. It all depends on how open the radiators are for air flow, so if the radiator can allow enough air flow to pass through, I'll place everything inside and modify the rear back metal plate. Heck I might not even have to modify the back plate...Maybe just new holes for the fan screws? Who knows...

B.) I might have to rig the radiator and fan to be placed outside of the box. Crazy I know, but here's my idea. I can place the water block in an orientation where the hoses would freely with the least amount of bending as possible, upward. Then I'd run the two hoses outside of the 10GBe slots! LOL....funny eh? But it'll work perfectly. Then I'll make a metal bracket to hold the radiator and fan in place on the back side of the NAS, all the while keeping the stock fans intact. I would just need to tap into a power source, though I think I saw some extra pin slots on the motherboard that I can use for power. Or would it be okay to T tap into the stock fans power wires you think? Shouldn't hurt eh?

C.) Cut a hole on top of the case and run the hoses out through it, then run them over the top to the right side of the NAS where I'd make a bracket for the radiator and fan to sit; as the right side of the NAS is the coolest. (Farthest away from the motherboard.) I would leave a big enough gap for airflow so although it may stick out a bit, it'll work.

D.) I could get a single radiator/fan unit (closed looped) and cut a square hole on top of the case and mount it there, as there is a lot of room next to the power supply. This would actually work great I think, that way I can leave the stock fans intact. Hmm.....

E.) Get a single fan closed looped cooler so I could just replace one of the fans in the rear. I'm really liking this idea. It'll be the cleanest route of all the options for sure. It would have to be this fan. I've already measured and everything looks good.....I'm really liking this idea....now as for the wiring?

What do ya say? I'd be glad to hear any input...I'm all ears.

Questions:

1. T Tap into the stock fans wires for power or try to find an open pin slot to tap into on the motherboard?

2. As I'm not familiar with this particular NAS's motherboard, how to I go about being able to control the SilverStone fans? Do I tap that wire into the stock fans wire that controls the fan speed from the dashboard? However, which one is that? Anyone know?

Last edited:
Crazy in a good way perhaps - the QNAP desktop case design is perhaps a bit lightweight with regards to airflow for the big intel chips - they can pump a lot of heat very quickly, and the stock cooling solution is probably right at the margin...

Indeed. I really feel that the stock heat sink unit is way too little for an i7. (dissipating heat ability wise.)

QNAP should have thought this through a little better. If I was on their design team, I'd make sure to provide a heat sink to accommodate the highest of demands under full load. You don't design a sports car and give it brakes that are on the Prius LOL....silly them. That's exactly what they did.

Haha! Thanks...It was definitely worth it, at least for me. My ambient temps are only 22C, which is normal, however what is not normal is that my NAS is worked hard all the time. With multiple people streaming and using VM's it really takes a beating so the CPU is always revving in the 75-80%+ range. Bizarre I know...

I'm now looking into the SilverStone closed looped SLIM cooler and trying to figure out the wiring first before I order one. I would love for the i7 to have its own cooling. The stock dinky cooling unit is way under rated for the i7 IMO. Especially for those who run it hard like I do.

Update: Now that I've measured from on top of the CPU to the HD1, inside the case, that area is only about 1.75 inches....therefore, since the SilverStone coolers hose from the water pump all point straight up without being able to bend, I may have to opt for the Intel BXTS13X instead as those hoses run out to the side as you can see here.

Any ideas on the wiring? The pump itself needs a 12v to itself. As for placing the water block on top of the CPU, it'll fit perfecting in the space that's there, but the only thing I'm curious about is how the hoses from the water block go straight vertical. I'm curious how much those hoses can be bent?

Here are my ideas: (Crazy, but I'm definitely going to do it.)

A.) Modify the back metal plate of the NAS to fit the radiator and fans inside the unit to replace the stock fans. I might need to cut out the rear metal plate to customize the fit, but that's okay. I have the tools to do that. There is enough room on the inside for the radiator and fan to fit inside the box, however, I want to refrain from the radiator to be right up against the back side of the Hard Drives. It all depends on how open the radiators are for air flow, so if the radiator can allow enough air flow to pass through, I'll place everything inside and modify the rear back metal plate. Heck I might not even have to modify the back plate...Maybe just new holes for the fan screws? Who knows...

B.) I might have to rig the radiator and fan to be placed outside of the box. Crazy I know, but here's my idea. I can place the water block in an orientation where the hoses would freely with the least amount of bending as possible, upward. Then I'd run the two hoses outside of the 10GBe slots! LOL....funny eh? But it'll work perfectly. Then I'll make a metal bracket to hold the radiator and fan in place on the back side of the NAS, all the while keeping the stock fans intact. I would just need to tap into a power source, though I think I saw some extra pin slots on the motherboard that I can use for power. Or would it be okay to T tap into the stock fans power wires you think? Shouldn't hurt eh?

C.) Cut a hole on top of the case and run the hoses out through it, then run them over the top to the right side of the NAS where I'd make a bracket for the radiator and fan to sit; as the right side of the NAS is the coolest. (Farthest away from the motherboard.) I would leave a big enough gap for airflow so although it may stick out a bit, it'll work.

D.) I could get a single radiator/fan unit (closed looped) and cut a square hole on top of the case and mount it there, as there is a lot of room next to the power supply. This would actually work great I think, that way I can leave the stock fans intact. Hmm.....

E.) Get a single fan closed looped cooler so I could just replace one of the fans in the rear. I'm really liking this idea. It'll be the cleanest route of all the options for sure. It would have to be this fan. I've already measured and everything looks good.....I'm really liking this idea....now as for the wiring?

What do ya say? I'd be glad to hear any input...I'm all ears.

Questions:

1. T Tap into the stock fans wires for power or try to find an open pin slot to tap into on the motherboard?

2. As I'm not familiar with this particular NAS's motherboard, how to I go about being able to control the SilverStone fans? Do I tap that wire into the stock fans wire that controls the fan speed from the dashboard? However, which one is that? Anyone know?

Sorry, you're way above my pay scale here. :)

But if you connect the NAS to the intake side of this, it may help?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Baghouse-dust-collector-for-asphalt-plants.jpg

That gets odd - but I'm thinking perhaps leave the main fans as they are - because they're also pulling heat from the drives, as the sensors driving the fans are looking at overall system temp... (CPU plus Drives)

Going to a waterblock - let it run constant flow, as since we're now removing the CPU heatload from the system temps - CPU temp will still be reported in the system info/stats page, so can adjust flow there...

When you get a chance - I was asking again, did you re-use the intel heat spreader after you de-lidded the i7?

Best!

sfx

The Intel BXTS13X solution is kinda nice - but once we go beyond air, there's a potential for failure on the critical path... pump failure, water leaks, etc...

(Waterblocks are like NOS, whereas Air is purely motor in the hotrod sense of things..)

FWIW - in my data center where I've got tons of Xeon's running at ludicrous speed.. everything there is on air, no watercooling to speak of - one less failure point on a HPC/HA platform...