What's new

TVS-x71 (PT, i3, i5, and i7) CPU+System+HD Temperture? Plex New Transcoder = High CPU usage/temps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What's the highest CPU Temp you've seen on your NAS under full load?

• 65C

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 66C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 67C

• 68C

• 69C

• 70C

• 71C

• 72C

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 73C

• 74C+

• Total voters
I've included some pictures with a red circle on some of them to show where I was hoping to be able to tap into. It looks like I would need to change the head of the plug for it to fit in the open slot (white one). Did you end up T tapping it into the existing fans wires?

The item circled on image 671_1 - that's one of the serial ports (labeled as UART1) - could be handy to break that out as a linux console port to monitor debug GRUB and other things (should be standard RS232 perhaps, not sure about the voltage levels, so might need a line level converter)...

cool

hi,

I have modded the back plate, cut away the fan grill for better performance and cut two paths up for the radiator hoses. I also got 12 volts from the psu for the water pump, it needs constant 12 volts. On my 471 there are empty slots in the cable going to the hdd, there you can tap in to 12 volts.

I hade to tare it apart again today. I'm using the old cpu backplate and the screws for the heatsink is to high, pushing against the hdd cage. Need to trim them down. They are in plastic so that won't be a problem. This also meant that the old cpu backplate was pushed back and the heatsink could´t connect propperly against the cpu. Temps were fine, but not optimal, when quick load the temp spiked up to 40-45 C in a few seconds. Also the paste that followed with the h55 is quite bad i think. Going to put mx-4 on.
I wil lasso add a second fan for push pull and for safety if one fails.

I will se if i can manage to post pics. :)
Sounds great. I was too thinking about modifying the rear back plate, however, upon measuring it, the length of the hoses seem to be perfect to place the radiator outside of fan #2 (push) -> radiator -> Intel fan for (pull)...

I've been really curious about the heat sink as well sitting flush with the IHS...Which wires did you tap into on the PSU? Hope the pictures show them when you get a chance to upload them :)

I'd like to see your wiring ...as the constant 12v is very important indeed...

Last edited:
I have also modded my TVS-871-i7 with an Intel TS13X watercooling, but the Corsair H55 is a better fit I found out afterwards. I also change the RAM to DDR3L memory (runs a little cooler).

I have put the radiator on the back outside next to fan 2. I have also replaced both fans with 1500RPM Noctua fans. The box is now virtually silent and the temperature is 8-10C cooler and the drives are is the most noisy part (8x6TB WD Red Pro).

I have also modded my TVS-871-i7 with an Intel TS13X watercooling, but the Corsair H55 is a better fit I found out afterwards. I also change the RAM to DDR3L memory (runs a little cooler).

I have put the radiator on the back outside next to fan 2. I have also replaced both fans with 1500RPM Noctua fans. The box is now virtually silent and the temperature is 8-10C cooler and the drives are is the most noisy part (8x6TB WD Red Pro).
Very nice! Congrats... I may need to get some advice from you as I'm going to mod my TVS-671 (i7) as well.

With the fans wiring, did you just change out the plugs? Or do a lot of splicing?

Which wires did you tap into for the power source for the pump? (It needs a solid and consistent 12V ya?)

Great stuff...[emoji106]