What's new

TWC Arris Gateway Wifi loss with Router behind Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wolf26pack

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I recently hooked up a friends house up with a Linksys E1000 Router and connected it via LAN to his family's Arris Gateway they have from Time Warner Cable. I set it up with a Router behind Router setup but unfortunately while he gets Internet (Wireless/Wired), the Arris Gateway suddenly loses Wifi Connection upstairs. Here are the connections and the settings.

Arris DG1670 Gateway: No Changes to any settings
Channel: 6
Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal
and everything else was untouched

Linksys E1000
Channel: 3
Changed to Static IP of 192.168.0.10 (so it would be in same range as Gateway)
Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal
Connection: Arris LAN 2 Port ============> Linksys LAN 1 Port
MAC Address Security: Permit only those in list, (I have all his devices working fine) that are connected to his router wirelessly

So I had this exact same setup when using it with AT&T and having it connected to my 2Wire Gateway & there were no issues what so ever. Now unless I'm forgetting a setting, I don't know what the issue that is causing this. Basically I was trying to extend his wireless network because the Gateway is on the 3rd floor of his house while he is on the 1st floor and gets maybe 20% signal where he is located and is constantly dropped and loses connection. Any and all help would be appreciated, Ultimately I want both the 3rd floor to have their internet and him to have his own internet.

I hope somebody here can help me solve this issue.

Thanks in Advance
Wolf26pack

Edit: I may have figured it out, I'm thinking I forgot to disable the DHCP on the Linksys E1000, Im thinking perhaps that with the addition of changing the NAT to bridge mode on the Arris will fix the Wireless problem on the Arris. I'm not at his house right now but if somebody thinks this could conflict with the wireless and confirm my suspicions that would be great.

Last edited:
The non-overlapping channels for 2.4Ghz WiFi are 1, 6, and 11.
Why are you using 3? Change this to 1 or 11.

Second point. What I think you have configured is

ISP --- Arris --- Linksys

With linksys in Access Point mode (Lan to Lan connection)
Yes you need to turn off DHCP on the linksys.
Do NOT turn off NAT on the Arris. (NAT is what makes the Aris share its one Internet IP address with the Lan hosts).
Make sure the Static IP of 192.168.0.10 is not in the dhcp range on the Arris.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!