What's new

Two routers, 1 private wifi networks and 1 for guests. How?!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HHawk

Regular Contributor
Okay guys, I need your expertise on the following (and I hope someone can help, because I am starting to pull my hair out). Sighs.

We were using 1 router (Asus RT-AC66U with MerlinWRT firmware). I love this router and the firmware. It's performance is good (both WLAN, as LAN). I had it configured with 2 wifi networks. One of them was for our own private use and the other one was for guests (both password shielded).

However, though it worked without issues, the performance was bad on the top floor. So I decided to purchase a 2nd router, which is placed on a cabinet on the 1st floor. The 2nd router is a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (with DD-WRT firmware installed). The TP-Link router is connected by LAN (from my HP switch).

The TP-Link router should increase the wifi experience for both our own private wifi signal as the signal for guests. FYI: I disabled guest access on the Asus router completely, as the TP-Link router should take care of that.

Now I am running into many, many problems. One of them is, if you connect to the TP-Link router, I don't get internet for some reason. I really have no clue what I did wrong. I used the following tutorials:

This is the tutorial I used to setup the 'Wireless Access Point', I checked if this is what I needed and so far I can tell this is it: Wireless Access Point (Wiki DD-WRT)

After that I started searching on setting up a guest network. I thought I found an good and clear tutorial, but I think I am still doing something wrong. The tutorial I used for setting up Guest Wifi is located here: Guest Wifi Setup DD-WRT

Probably I made a mistake somewhere, somehow, but it's kinda hard to find this. Maybe I should change some settings on the main router as well, since that's not described anywhere. As you can see I really don't have an idea on how to proceed at all. So I am hoping someone on here can point me in the correct way.

A few things to notice or take in consideration (dunno if possible at all):

- I want both routers to be in the same IP range (192.168.0.x)
- both wifi signals have their own (but same) SSID, so 2 SSIDs in total

If you have comments or remarks about this, please, do share, I am always willing to learn and improve my network in general.

If you need any other information, or if I missed something, please let me know as well. I think I have been thorough, however it's only human to miss something.

After giving up yesterday on this (was getting late); I will try a different approach this evening. I will setup the 'Wireless Access Point' first (instead of doing them both straight after each other) and see if I can get internet at all.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice. And thank you for taking a look at my thread. Highly appreciated. :)

Side information; the reason for the guest network (with password) is because my girlfriend has a beauty parlour (correct wording for it?) on the top floor. So the guest network is mainly used for her clients. They "complained" about the internet connection (wifi) being slow. I checked it myself and indeed it was slow, slower than it should have been (probably too many floors, concrete and other obstacles in between). Same goes for our private signal in that area. That's the whole reason I bought a 2nd router.

The TP -LINK may have an option to turn it into an Access Point. But, if it doesn't, follow the procedure below. Also, it is important that your ASUS router and TPLINK router have different IP Addresses, or, you will have connectivity issues, across all network devices.

EDIT: Work on getting your AP on the network, then work on Guest network.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/30338-how-to-convert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah, as mentioned I followed the tutorial for setting up an AP as mentioned on the DD-WRT Wiki. This means I have different IP's for both routers; 192.168.0.1 (main Asus router with MerlinWRT) and 192.168.0.3 (for the TP-Link router with DD-WRT firmware). I don't use the TP-Link firmware, because it's limited, especially compared to DD-WRT firmware. Other than that, DD-WRT seems to be way more stable than TP-Link firmware (and not to mention safer).

Anyways, as stated in my first post, I will try to setup the AP first and see about the Guest network afterwards, maybe I rushed things a bit (doubt it, but better worth re-trying).

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah, as mentioned I followed the tutorial for setting up an AP as mentioned on the DD-WRT Wiki. This means I have different IP's for both routers; 192.168.0.1 (main Asus router with MerlinWRT) and 192.168.0.3 (for the TP-Link router with DD-WRT firmware). I don't use the TP-Link firmware, because it's limited, especially compared to DD-WRT firmware. Other than that, DD-WRT seems to be way more stable than TP-Link firmware (and not to mention safer).

Anyways, as stated in my first post, I will try to setup the AP first and see about the Guest network afterwards, maybe I rushed things a bit (doubt it, but better worth re-trying).

Just to recapp..

Unique IP Address per device.
Correct network mask
Correct IP Address for Gateway..

HHawk

I use two WiFi routers, one is a tp-link c-8 router in the house, another one, the ASUS RT-AC68U in the barn, which is configure as an AP access point only.

I used the following guide lines, for the wiring purposes only in the AP mode for the Asus router.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basi...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

My configuration on tp-link has 2 ssid, Admin and guest both WPA 2 encryption, DHCP, through a 12port gigabyte switch.

The difference is:
1- I added another router which is an ASUS RT-AC68U, with its doing AP only the barn bldg , one ssid using WAP2 and did disable the routing,

The trick was cabling to the right port ON THE ASUS, Im not using its own WAN port, I used the following guide lines carefully, http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/30338-how-to-convert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point.

The routing info from the TP-LINK is separate from each other.

The Asus router is getting the routing info (DHCP) from the ISP router. I had to to login into the ISP router, to register and Assign an IP address to the AP.

TP-Link router is doing its own DHCP, to anything that connects to it via the WIFI.

Both routers are connect via cat-6 cable individually to the switch.

Both routers, depend on the ISP router. Since it is the main gateway to the Internet.

I had to reboot everything to refresh the IP tables only one time.

Believe or not, it does works perfectly. I'm not saying that DD-WRT, 3rd party firmware is NOT bad, but IT IS more detail, you might miss a step or two while doing the configuration. Specially, Both of my routers are using the latest and updated Stock firmware.

Keep the faith, If frustration sits in, shut everything off, take a break, then when you are comfortable again, just resume. Trials and errors will make you understand what you own and how it works. That it is the beauty of been an IT person.

Thank you for replying in great detail. After reading your post (several times), I decided to redo everything from scratch.

Well, it's still not working as it should, but I did make some progress.

1. I can connect to the TP-Link Router (still with DD-WRT firmware) by LAN and WIFI (private + guest network).

2. I have internet on our private WIFI network.

However I am unable to get internet working on the guest WIFI (I can connect to the guest WIFI signal and get an IP)

It worked fine until I did the stuff mentioned on this site. For example, what I did:

- Network configuration: Unbridged (do not bridge with local LAN)
- Masquerade / NAT: Enable (enabled NAT for internet access)
- Net Isolation: Enable (block access to router and local LAN)
- IP Address: 192.168.10.1 (set IP for this virtual interface)
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

My main (Asus router) uses the IP (and range): 192.168.0.1
For the Virtual Interface I used the IP (and range): 192.168.10.1

Next I went to Setup > Networking > DHCPD and enabled DHCP for guest WIFI.

Now I can connect to our private WIFI (on both routers) and have internet, but if I connect to the guest WIFI I don't have internet. DHCP for the Virtual Interface is working, because I do get an IP number from it, in my current case it's: 192.168.10.149.

I think I am pretty close in nailing this, however I have no idea where I am making the mistake.

Anyone has an idea by any chance? Thank you!

You have two different networks, which your ASUS (main router) can't route for. That just complicates your network routing. One should be a router the other an AP (in the same network).. Create your Guest network on your TP-LINK and keep it simple..

From what I can tell, VLANs would be the ONLY way to extend the guest network across two different APs/routers.

Well thank you for your input, however the solution was easier and didn't include setting up any VLAN as some of you mentioned.

I asked also for help on the DD-WRT forums and someone pointed me to this post: WAP + Guest Network
I followed his steps and it now works flawlessly.

So if anyone else is looking for a similiar configuration, I would recommend to take a look his (small) tutorial. Which actually works!

Nevertheless, thank you for time people.