What's new

Two wireless routers connected by MoCA 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fwiler

Occasional Visitor
I just moved to a newer two story house.
I currently have an Asus RT-AC68U.
All connections are wireless mostly for streaming and gaming.

I do not have good coverage upstairs and do not have any ethernet between the floors, just coax.

Can I buy the Actiontec MoCA 2.0 kit, buy another Asus, and connect the two routers?
I didn't want to halve the available bandwidth by adding an extender, so I didn't know if my idea was a good solution.

Or should I be looking at another router?

Thanks.

I just moved to a newer two story house.
I currently have an Asus RT-AC68U.
All connections are wireless mostly for streaming and gaming.

I do not have good coverage upstairs and do not have any ethernet between the floors, just coax.

Can I buy the Actiontec MoCA 2.0 kit, buy another Asus, and connect the two routers?
I didn't want to halve the available bandwidth by adding an extender, so I didn't know if my idea was a good solution.

Or should I be looking at another router?

Thanks.

Your plan is good to use MOCA. Just set the second ASUS up as an AP on a different radio channel that the first.

Test your set up and see if you get the bandwidth you need/want. MOCA works well for most people but not for everyone. If you have MOCA problems search for tips and suggestions on this site.

Thank you for your reply. My only concern, is hand-off to each AP.. I've read of problems of where devices will want to hang on to one AP even though the other one would provide a stronger signal.

This would only be a concern for phones and tablets, so not a huge problem, but still a concern. Is this just the nature of the setup for any brand?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online