What's new

TX power adjustment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Naftali Oziel

Regular Contributor
How can I find out what is the numeric value of the Mw when I set the tx power adjustment to performance, good etc. ?

Thanks, perhaps I should have been more clear in my post. What are the per-programmed Mw variables for performance vs. good etc. I would assume these are coded into the firmware.

i believe its set in 20% steps , preformance being 100% power output and its dropped by 20% each step down from there

Thanks, but what is the Mw values. e.g. if it's set to 100% is it 80MW?

well performance would = max eirp wouldnt it for each channel or close to it , not sure where 80mw comes into it as 2.4 gig is set at 4000mw and 5 gig variable depending on the location but 800mw for the high band

as 2.4 gig is set at 4000mw and 5 gig variable depending on the location but 800mw for the high band
Blimey, what region are you in! :D The router default used to be 80mW on 2.4GHz (max 100mW) and 100mW on 5GHz (max 200mW) - modified downwards depending on region. Don't know what it is now though.

Edit: Sorry I thought the OP was talking about an Asus router. The values are probably different depending on the device in question.

Last edited:
"Good" means moderately violating RF regulations. "Performance" violates more than good.

edit: with heuristics I thought we're talking about one Merlin fork. Apologise if not the case.

Last edited:
"Good" means moderately violating RF regulations. "Performance" violates more than good.

edit: with heuristics I thought we're talking about one Merlin fork. Apologise if not the case.

Thank you, specifics for mw are for the Asus AC68U.

Blimey, what region are you in! :D The router default used to be 80mW on 2.4GHz (max 100mW) and 100mW on 5GHz (max 200mW) - modified downwards depending on region. Don't know what it is now though.

Edit: Sorry I thought the OP was talking about an Asus router. The values are probably different depending on the device in question.

We are talking about Asus AC68U,

well performance would = max eirp wouldnt it for each channel or close to it , not sure where 80mw comes into it as 2.4 gig is set at 4000mw and 5 gig variable depending on the location but 800mw for the high band

variable 80Wm was simply an example as stated. Hence for asking what are the values per settings.

That part of the code is now closed source so there's no way to know.

Thank you, appreciate it. I'll just have to trial and error on testing between balanced, good and performance settings. Do you have any recommendations or have you tried any of the settings to see if it makes any major differences?

4000mW = 4W. What kinda radio chip can handle 4W? Isn't that a typo for 400mW?

How can I find out what is the numeric value of the Mw when I set the tx power adjustment to performance, good etc. ?

On HG Gomes' fork 380.59 the % power slider corresponds to these values in mW/dBm. No prizes for guessing which power setting I've chosen :p

1% => 42mW (16.2 dBm)

25% => 83mW (19.2 dBm)

50% => 178mW (22.5 dBm)

75% => 355mW (25.5 dBm)

100% => 1000mW (30 dBm)

On HG Gomes' fork 380.59 the % power slider corresponds to these values in mW/dBm. No prizes for guessing which power setting I've chosen :p

Turn the knob to 11 - but it doesn't make it so...
===========
https://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt

TX POWER EXPLAINED
------------------
'iwconfig eth1 txpower' & 'iwlist eth1 txpower' set and get the drivers
user-requested transmit power level. This can go up to 32 dbm and allows
the user to lower the tx power to levels below the regulatory limit.

Internally, the actual tx power is always kept within regulatory limits
no matter what the user request is set to.

1% => 42mW (16.2 dBm)

25% => 83mW (19.2 dBm)

50% => 178mW (22.5 dBm)

75% => 355mW (25.5 dBm)

100% => 1000mW (30 dBm)

Thanks this is helpful.