What's new

Ubiquiti Announces $89 AC1200 Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There really needs to be a good way to actually figure out which is new or old that is being sold. When the AC3200 first came out it was sold at £300 in the UK. Now the price has dropped to £200 but how much is an ASUS AC3200 in the US? Im hoping those business suppliers will give a good price once they get it in stock.

if the price of a ubiquiti AC AP pro is low enough in the UK i could buy it and give it a try (including stress testing it by overflowing it with traffic to see how good or bad it is). I am curious to the CPU and RAM used in them though.

+1 on posting.....I'm thinking of moving to a pfsense box + access points and these look perfect!

Funny, I was looking at doing something similar (except was originally going to use RT-AC68U and R7000 as AP's) but these are very intriguing. Looking at J1900, N3150 or N3700 for PC.

First release doesn't have it yet...but it's on the "real soon" roadmap. I'm sure a flurry of controller updates will be released before end of year and it'll be there.

And even in most cases, especially residential...in other brands of wireless hardware it doesn't work all that well...so much of it depends on having a business grade wireless chipset in laptops that actually works well with it.

I understand Azazel's concern. The original UAP-AC was supposed to have Zero Handoff as well. It's been over a year now, and hasn't happened. If it's an important feature to someone as a buyer, I'd wait until Ubiquiti turns "real soon" into "now available".

Zero Handoff for laptops, IMO -not a big deal. However, if you want to do cordless VoIP phones, it's necessary.

Just saw the fact that ZHO is not working (yet?) on these. That's one of the things that I've had my eye on (older models - too expensive though). Not sure that I need it (would be nice). Heck, might not need more than one of these anyway with the coverage that they give, lol! :p

Hmm.. looks like these aren't really out there much yet in stores, probably the next few weeks.

Any opinions on how these would compare with, say, the D-Link DAP-2660? I'd be looking at the POE Pro model.

There really needs to be a good way to actually figure out which is new or old that is being sold. When the AC3200 first came out it was sold at £300 in the UK. Now the price has dropped to £200 but how much is an ASUS AC3200 in the US? Im hoping those business suppliers will give a good price once they get it in stock.

if the price of a ubiquiti AC AP pro is low enough in the UK i could buy it and give it a try (including stress testing it by overflowing it with traffic to see how good or bad it is). I am curious to the CPU and RAM used in them though.

The old UAP-AC access points are square in shape, with a green LED effect.

The new UAP-AC PRO access points are round, like the previous UAP-PRO 802.11n models are. And I'm still waiting to see them out on the market. I'm very tempted, though I'm hoping Tim will get a review sample before my compulsiveness kicks in.

I'd personally wait until it is if it was a feature I was interested in. Ubiquity isn't notorious for never adding promised features, but there has been an occasion where a feature still hasn't been delivered 1+ year after release.

Unless I've missed something, so long as it works with Wifi, it works with Ubiquiti's ZHO implementation, there is absolutely no client involvement in the hand-off at all. Some other manufacturer's that isn't necessarily the case.

I think this is generally common with many that have a decent business in the small enterprise market trying to go into the Prosumer/Consumer market - it's not the price of the box - that's hardware BOM driven - it's the support needed...

UBNT has tried this a few times, but hasn't sorted the numbers - and I would suggest that the Ruckus devices are in the same place...

It's not bad tech, it's that support gets to be too expensive, and they walk away from that market..

Tim,
I hope you get your hands on these soon.... my finger is on the buy button!!!
Got plans for my Netgear stuff, and would love to put this new Ubiquti stuff in my house.

Last edited:
Tim,
I hope you get your hands on these soon.... my finger is on the buy button!!!
Got plans for my Netgear stuff, and would love to put this new Ubiquti stuff in my house.
Will be at least a few weeks until review.

Hi all, sorry to interrupt the substantive discussion with something trivial:

I'm interested in the new Ubiquiti access points but I'm trying to avoid permanent fixtures on my ceiling or walls. Would I be able to hang the mount off a removable adhesive wall hook (example link below)?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IBLN/?tag=snbforums-20

Last edited:
Sure, those things support a reasonable amount of weight. You still need the cords coming from somewhere and from what I have seen, the Ubiquity models support true smoke detector style installation where the plugs enter from the topside of the access point, so everything is hidden in the ceiling. That is not going to be conducive to temporary mounting.

I mean, heck, I am interested in the suckers even without ZHO because of the reasonable price and form factor. They might make a decent high density deployment for 5GHz. 2.4GHz too if ZHO comes along and is effective for them (can always have 2.4GHz enabled on just one or two of them to provide coverage on that band and dense for 5GHz). Of course it would mean running a bunch of new Ethernet cables to supply them, but it wouldn't be impossible to do...just annoying.

Hi all, sorry to interrupt the substantive discussion with something trivial:

I'm interested in the new Ubiquiti access points but I'm trying to avoid permanent fixtures on my ceiling or walls. Would I be able to hang the mount off a removable adhesive wall hook (example link below)?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IBLN/?tag=snbforums-20
You should be able to, at least with those small brass picture frame hooks.

However, these type of access points usually have the best spread pattern if mounted vertically (like, on a ceiling) rather than horizontally (on a wall). So you'll probably sacrifice a little in range/performance in some areas of your house/apartment, depending on how you lay them out.

Sure, those things support a reasonable amount of weight. You still need the cords coming from somewhere and from what I have seen, the Ubiquity models support true smoke detector style installation where the plugs enter from the topside of the access point, so everything is hidden in the ceiling. That is not going to be conducive to temporary mounting.

I mean, heck, I am interested in the suckers even without ZHO because of the reasonable price and form factor. They might make a decent high density deployment for 5GHz. 2.4GHz too if ZHO comes along and is effective for them (can always have 2.4GHz enabled on just one or two of them to provide coverage on that band and dense for 5GHz). Of course it would mean running a bunch of new Ethernet cables to supply them, but it wouldn't be impossible to do...just annoying.

Seeing as how you have one home router/AP now, and you would be replacing it with 2+ of these new APs, unless you are making VOIP calls and running around your house I don't think ZHO is necessary for you. If your client doesn't jump on the new Wifi, it's really not a huge deal to turn Wifi off and back on....

Last edited:
I have a wireless router and two access points...so, no, it isn't replace 1 with 2+. It would be replacing 3 with probably 4. My house isn't huge, but it is two floors and long, plus lots of outdoor space (40,482sq-ft of it).

Clients roaming isn't an issue for me, what is an issue is that Apple has done a crappy job of designing their network stack and has only been making it worse over time. My iPhone roams fairly well, but sometimes if something is "running" and it roams, it'll "freeze up" for awhile. Example, checking email, if I walk across the house as it is trying to check my email, the client will sometimes just sit there for 30 seconds thinking about it before it'll finally pull down any new emails. Or I can force close the email client, pull it back up and then it'll pull the new emails in a second or two.

Facetime will tend to either drop connection quality to voice only for 15-30 seconds if you roam between the access points, or occasionally it'll just disconnect. Which is actually slightly better behavior than what it used to do, but the email thing is new (Netflix BTW roams gracefully on my iPhone, it is only 1st party iOS apps that seem to have the roaming issue). Same thing with Safari loading a page.

Windows does not do this at all. Android doesn't seem to do this.

iOS (other than Facetime) was actually a lot better about this under iOS5, 6 and 7. In fact my wife's iPad 2 is still running iOS 7 and it works pretty well roaming around (again, exception Facetime, which has always been an issue). iOS8 on the other hand, crappy.

I've seen/heard tell of added in issues with OSX over the releases as well (such as OSX10.6+ removing the ability to force the adapter to connect to one particular band on a dual band unified SSID). The more Apple tinkers, the worse they seem to make networking.

If the iDevice under iOS8 isn't actively trying to pull down information on the network when it roams, all is good. But first party apps flip feces a lot of times if they are and you roam. ZHO very well may fix that. Again, Windows has no issues with it. The worst I'll see is a network transfer bottom out for 2-3s before it jumps back up to full speed. Skype roams gracefully with at worst a second or two pause in the video stream.

Sometimes Apple really needs to fix. So, ZHO isn't mandatory for me, but it sure would be nice. Since the hardware and some other Ubiquities other products support it, I'd wait on ZHO to be a real working feature before considering the new 11ac APs from them. The price is nice, but I also already have pretty decent wireless speed and coverage around my house (all 11ac, except outside which is only 11n 2.4/5GHz). The only things they would add is making it a little easier to deploy a dense 5GHz WLAN because of the form factor and the possibility of ZHO...which doesn't exist right now.

iOS (other than Facetime) was actually a lot better about this under iOS5, 6 and 7. In fact my wife's iPad 2 is still running iOS 7 and it works pretty well roaming around (again, exception Facetime, which has always been an issue). iOS8 on the other hand, crappy.

Give iOS 9 a spin - actually runs pretty well on the older A5 based devices (iPhone 4s, iPad2, iPod Touch 5th Gen, iPad Mini (1)) - much better WiFi experience...

Apple had a particular bad run with a specific network daemon - discoveryd, which they were intending to replace mDNSResponder with - didn't go very well, and they've since rolled discoveryd out of the picture, reverting back...

Does it work well on the older A5? If so I'll give it a spin on my Wife's iPad 2. iOS 7 is incredibly slow on it and I know iOS8 would have been worse. It is getting replaced eventually anyway, but my daughter uses it a bit for some young children's games and my wife uses it as a "fixture" in the kitchen for Netflix streaming and recipes (well, I use it for recipes since I do 90% of the cooking). It'll probably keep being used for that until it dies with a nice Air 2 or a mini 4 for my wife this Christmas.

My iPhone, dunno. On my wife's I'll definitely load iOS9, but I am probably getting a 6s to replace my 5 so I'll probably be lazy and not bother updating my iPhone 5.

Does it work well on the older A5? If so I'll give it a spin on my Wife's iPad 2. iOS 7 is incredibly slow on it and I know iOS8 would have been worse. It is getting replaced eventually anyway, but my daughter uses it a bit for some young children's games and my wife uses it as a "fixture" in the kitchen for Netflix streaming and recipes (well, I use it for recipes since I do 90% of the cooking). It'll probably keep being used for that until it dies with a nice Air 2 or a mini 4 for my wife this Christmas.

My iPhone, dunno. On my wife's I'll definitely load iOS9, but I am probably getting a 6s to replace my 5 so I'll probably be lazy and not bother updating my iPhone 5.

We're getting off topic, but yeah, seems actually to run better on the A5's - they don't get a lot of the new features, but benefit from a lot of the bug/security fixes - not a big different in performance, but a lot more stable compared to iOS7/8...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!