What's new

Ubiquiti Announces $89 AC1200 Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Interesting, hadn't even heard of Eero. Had it been out 6 months ago I might have tried it instead of paying to get wires run through my wall, though nothing beats wires now that I have them ;)

Frankly I'm soured on wifi a bit. I think in most cases unless you put a lot of work in that it's insufficient for e.g. ultra reliable home media streaming. Eero seems like a good approach if it works well if you absolutely can't run wires.

Now that I've got an extra wire in my ceiling I'm gonna put in an AC pro and be done with it.

Interesting, hadn't even heard of Eero. Had it been out 6 months ago I might have tried it instead of paying to get wires run through my wall, though nothing beats wires now that I have them ;)

Frankly I'm soured on wifi a bit. I think in most cases unless you put a lot of work in that it's insufficient for e.g. ultra reliable home media streaming. Eero seems like a good approach if it works well if you absolutely can't run wires.

Now that I've got an extra wire in my ceiling I'm gonna put in an AC pro and be done with it.
That's where I'm at. I had Cat5e in my house and just switched out the RJ11 jacks with RJ45 and have as much wired as possible. I think phones, a tablet, a laptop, and a Chromecast are the only things not wired. And I just ran two wires into my attic to which I'll be connecting two AC pros. At least that's the plan for now while I wait for them to be released.

Anyone going to hold out for eero or at least eero reviews?
That's another one of my tech rules:

-If a product doesn't exist in the public market, no matter how promising it looks, I resolve to wait until it has been public for a defined period of time and several positive independent reviews (and hopefully some from average joe buyers); no pre-orders. If it is being advertised by a new startup, I will wait longer. If it has been promised several times by that startup and pushed back, I will wait longer yet.

The above reasons have helped me not buy xClaim Wireless equipment, despite the early hope that Ruckus would have helped produce something great; I am very happy for that.

Darknessrise tipped me to this Ars review. Good for an overview of features. Not much info on performance.

Remember, APs are focused on range. More on capacity and network management features.

much more info on the ubiquiti forums, there has intermittent availability since september

there currently seems to be an issue with wifi dropping on 5 ghz but not 2.4 across many of the new devices, requiring a reset to fix, looks like alpha firmware is being tested currently

i have the UAP AC LR waiting to be installed as i have incomplete coverage with the original UAP AC, was hoping for a fix for the 5 ghz issue before installing

Darknessrise tipped me to this Ars review. Good for an overview of features. Not much info on performance.

Remember, APs are focused on range. More on capacity and network management features.

I would like to see Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE, TRENDnet TEW-821DAP and Zyxel NWA1123-AC tested. I think the Zyxel NWA1123-AC is safest choice but I could be wrong.

Hi Tim,
Any idea if you will be getting one of these anytime soon?

I have pinged Ubiquiti twice with no response.

They're still in limited supply. I'm in no rush to review them.

They haven't even given their distributors here in the UK an ETA, saying only 'TBD'. The distributor (MS Dist) say they expect shipment mid-to-late January though, but this is on a pre-order from September.

Give Ubiquiti a good panning for the world's slowest ramp up of production when you do review them, because it's quite ridiculous really.

I have pinged Ubiquiti twice with no response.

They're still in limited supply. I'm in no rush to review them.

Which is too bad cause I'd be interested in buying one. I don't have to replace what I have, but I'd like to make the jump to something newer. It seems the market is incredibly thin for competitors to this device though. Does anyone know of any other good solutions for AC that are PoE powered, support vlans, and are $300 or less? The only suggestions I've seen are Engenius EAP1750H, OpenMesh MR1750, and ZyXEL NWA1123-AC. Out of those the Engenius reviews aren't too favorable, the Open Mesh requires a cloud controller, and I can't find much info on any of them as far as full reviews go.

Ha! Openmesh is the least responsive and a lot of my clients even said so. Good luck getting support or anything from them unless you're like, a fashonista that's big time or someone in K12 or charity. Those 3 categories seem to be the only ones OM is interested in. I've had some clients come to me that want me to custom test and such and OM is unresponsive. I think they pretty much know they are Meraki knockoffs and want to shield themselves from anyone that would prove they are. If some makeup person onYT endorses them gets some or some preschool administrations gloats about them in a fake way than run far away.

Which in a business setting there would be no way that would work out, but for a home user I'd just assume I wasn't going to get much support in the first place. As long as the product itself is solid and I don't need to talk to support that might be able to make the cut. But in a generalization I tend to find that products which lack customer support also seem to lack in other areas. I probably should just make a new topic for the question, but I suppose I can tie it in by asking how Ubiquiti's support is. If Tim can't get a reply about a product from any reps then maybe they are not the best choice either.

Their forum support is really good.

I just added their cloud key device, works great. I wouldn't use another brand.

Which is too bad cause I'd be interested in buying one. I don't have to replace what I have, but I'd like to make the jump to something newer. It seems the market is incredibly thin for competitors to this device though. Does anyone know of any other good solutions for AC that are PoE powered, support vlans, and are $300 or less? The only suggestions I've seen are Engenius EAP1750H, OpenMesh MR1750, and ZyXEL NWA1123-AC. Out of those the Engenius reviews aren't too favorable, the Open Mesh requires a cloud controller, and I can't find much info on any of them as far as full reviews go.

I have been looking at used Ruckus R500. That seems to be about the best thing I could find at a reasonable price.

but I suppose I can tie it in by asking how Ubiquiti's support is. If Tim can't get a reply about a product from any reps then maybe they are not the best choice either.

Much like OpenMESH.....it's a product that is aimed at the VAR/reseller market, for consultants to install. Not aimed at the residential market. The support is through the wholesale channels....which of course depends which whoelsaler you purchase them through.

We had used OpenMESH products a few times in the past, they are "OK"....the hardware is a little on the "light" side. When I say "light"..I mean, not very robust, not the strongest of radios. But they're mean to be deployed in higher density. Years ago we preferred using them in client setups where having a cloud controller was a need for us. But once Ubiquiti released a version of their controller software which supported multiple client sites on a cloud based controller we're all Ubiquiti now...since we really like their hardware.

These new Ubiquiti AC units are working very well.

FYI stock has been flowing to suppliers......I already had some come in and they went out and got deployed...and just placed another order this morning for several more...and one wholesaler has plenty in stock (several hundred of the US models).
Price is still under 100 bucks per if buying single units.

Got my units last week and installed them this weekend. They work well with the latest beta (4.8.12) firmware.

Took some fiddling to get the correct roaming settings, but now it works fine. My only quib is the limitd number of 5ghz channels. 2aps are in each others range, so no ht80...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!