What's new

Ubiquiti APs or something else

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Souli

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

my current setup: TP-Link ER5120 as my router for load balancing a DSL connection and a LTE connection, Apple Airport Extreme (older version with 802.11 n) as AP for WLan, Asus RT-N66U as AP for WLan

I have to use 2 separate SSIDs as the handoff doesn't work like I want it. So I would like to get rid of the Airport and the N66U and replace them with 2x APs that will allow this. I read a bit and saw that the Ubiquiti Unifi APs are very common. Wireless speed is not really important to me as all the streaming devices are using ethernet and it's mostly for the phone and tablets. Also I currently have only 802.11 n and only use the 2,4 Ghz band which does the job fine. Which Ubiquiti APs would you suggest? Was looking at the AP AC Long Range (though the lite should also be sufficient). Or are there any advantageous that I'd miss if I don't go for the AP AC Pro?

Are there any comparable alternatives to Ubiquiti that I should take a look at?

Smooth roaming depends a lot on the client devices.

Do you have Ethernet to locations where you want the APs?

I've used the AC-Pro before here at home in a 3-AP setup. I didn't mount them but placed them on tables in living and family rooms. 3rd was placed on 2nd floor office center of house. They are a great option - full coverage, lots of configuration features. If you can't keep a PC running the controller software, they have a standalone cloud key.

Thanks that sounds good. I'll go with 2x the Ap AC LR and see how it works.
One question regarding the controller software: Is it necessary to have it running all the time? I read that it is mainly required for the setup but not really afterwards?

I have one older UAP that only offers 2.4gHz very stable, good coverage tof basement & 2nd floor with placement on 1st floor.

As for the controller I setup on a VM with my NAS4Free as the host. The VM only runs once a month but wifi still solid.

Only complaint is the speed is stuck at 100mbps or so, but that is realistic for the APs specs so I can't complain in reality.

If you're a bit more of a plug 'n play type, other options might be Eero or Orbi, set into bridge/AP-only mode...

Otherwise UniFi will smoke almost anything else in its segment on general value. It is Ubiquiti, though, so the execution of making it work is pretty much all on you. Assuming that's no biggie (most times it's not), go right ahead with it. :)

I'm kind of in the same situation.

I have an EdgeRouter Lite for routing - to a dumb switch, with a D-Link DIR-865L (D-Link firmware) and Netgear WNDR3700v1 (Gargoyle) as my two APs.

The D-Link firmware is surprisingly stable (even if unfeatured - but not an issue for use as an AP) whereas the Netgear was horribly unstable until I installed Gargoyle.

I have ethernet to all AP points and am wondering if there would really be any significant benefit in me purchasing a Ubiquiti AP or two...

End goal is that I have a smart switch i'm planning to use - will try to VLAN off a guest wireless network with separate SSID. Pretty sure i'd need the UAPs for that, right? They have two LAN interfaces I believe for exactly this situation? Oops - looking at a UAP AC Pro. Does the lite have two LAN interfaces?

You could also look at Open-Mesh, which lets you break out VLANs per AP/SSID, but do realize their approach to "mesh" is quite different from UniFi (non-mesh UniFi at least) and many others, as they use the B.A.T.M.A.N. concept of multi-route WAN access. A SOHO user on a smaller-scale flat network typically isn't affected too much, rather it's scaling and/or high-noise deployments where things get challenging with OM. Nevertheless, figured I'd mention it.

The next step up from all the stuff in this thread would be Ruckus or the like, but I think that's too big a bill and too much complexity for 99% of SNB'ers. And rightfully so.

Last edited:
Well the other thing i've just been researching is Mesh UniFi. I suspect i won't see too much different on my SOHO scale. What i think i need to figure out is whether or not the UAP-AC-Lite / Unifi-AC-Mesh (i.e. the non Pro versions) can support trunking or VLAN/firewall rules for different SSIDs.

Unless i've got this all wrong and then i'm open to all advice!

Go for the LR instead of Lite; these have more sensitive antennas. Works perfectly fine with roaming, multiple SSID and vlans. Instead of the cloudkey, use a pi.

I need to replace my centrally located RT-AC68U because it needs rebooting every few days because is getting old and 5G loses signal strength. I tried the AC-Pro units over a year ago and was not ready to replace what I had.

Eero is probably what would work well here, however $500 is quite a chunk of change. And since I need to keep my FiOS router (w/o wifi on) in the mix I need a bridge mode. The UniFi AC lite units are priced locally at $83 and getting 3 would be half the cost of eero.

But I have some limitations... can't connect the 2 remote units on the 1st floor with ethernet because I can't run cables. So my main questions is AP orientation.

My plan would be to connect 1 AP in my 2nd floor office (where the Asus is now) connected to the ethernet switch. Then place one AP on 1st fl living room, and other AP in 1st fl family room. BUT all the APs would not be mounted on ceiling or wall. Instead they will lay flat on end tables or a desk.

Would this still work efficiently enough?

I need to replace my centrally located RT-AC68U because it needs rebooting every few days because is getting old and 5G loses signal strength. I tried the AC-Pro units over a year ago and was not ready to replace what I had.

Eero is probably what would work well here, however $500 is quite a chunk of change. And since I need to keep my FiOS router (w/o wifi on) in the mix I need a bridge mode. The UniFi AC lite units are priced locally at $83 and getting 3 would be half the cost of eero.

But I have some limitations... can't connect the 2 remote units on the 1st floor with ethernet because I can't run cables. So my main questions is AP orientation.

My plan would be to connect 1 AP in my 2nd floor office (where the Asus is now) connected to the ethernet switch. Then place one AP on 1st fl living room, and other AP in 1st fl family room. BUT all the APs would not be mounted on ceiling or wall. Instead they will lay flat on end tables or a desk.

Would this still work efficiently enough?

That's exactly how I used to have it in a house I was renting - so couldn't run physical cabling. One upstairs pointing downstairs and one at the other end of the house on the floor pointing upstairs. Worked fine but in the end I got tired of the Ubiquiti management software.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of using Velop in the new house is simplicity. Through the ubiquiti kit, engenius & linksys ap's etc there's always something quirky with a Nest Thermostat or a device that won't roam. For once I quite like the idea of flooding the house with these 2x2 access points and letting it run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly how I used to have it in a house I was renting - so couldn't run physical cabling. One upstairs pointing downstairs and one at the other end of the house on the floor pointing upstairs. Worked fine but in the end I got tired of the Ubiquiti management software.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of using Velop in the new house is simplicity. Through the ubiquiti kit, engenius & linksys ap's etc there's always something quirky with a Nest Thermostat or a device that won't roam. For once I quite like the idea of flooding the house with these 2x2 access points and letting it run.

Thanks for the response. I posted in the forums last week that Linksys confirmed they don't/won't do bridge mode with the Velop. For consumers like me, bridge mode is the main feature required. I tried Google wifi but they don't have it either - in fact the lock the lan IP which is totally non-flexible

Thanks for the response. I posted in the forums last week that Linksys confirmed they don't/won't do bridge mode with the Velop. For consumers like me, bridge mode is the main feature required. I tried Google wifi but they don't have it either - in fact the lock the lan IP which is totally non-flexible

Yeah - I was looking at that too. I've always jumped the subnet to keep it away from remote VPN connections etc - and double-NAT is no doubt going to break something critical I haven't thought of.

I read somewhere that it doesn't support uPnP either (spare me the security lecture) but it's these things that add complexity to a simple system.

But hey - I hear 192.168.1.x/24 is the new 'minimalist' when it comes to networking :)

Installed 3 AC-Lite APs today (one is a bit flaky and will get exchanged) but so far they are awesome. Complete blanket wifi coverage in 3100 sq ft home, great uplink/downlink NAS bandwidth, good roaming so far between APs. I kept a Win-7 PC connected running the controller so I can use their iOS app and see my network details. And pricing was 1/2 the cost of eero. If it work out I will probably grab a cloud key so I can turn off the PC.

Hopefully I can now retire my 3 1/2 yr old Asus 68U.

Installed 3 AC-Lite APs today (one is a bit flaky and will get exchanged) but so far they are awesome. Complete blanket wifi coverage in 3100 sq ft home, great uplink/downlink NAS bandwidth, good roaming so far between APs. I kept a Win-7 PC connected running the controller so I can use their iOS app and see my network details. And pricing was 1/2 the cost of eero. If it work out I will probably grab a cloud key so I can turn off the PC.

Hopefully I can now retire my 3 1/2 yr old Asus 68U.

Good choice.. I have two Unifi AC Pro's at home. (Aslo purchased the cloudkey) No show stopper issues. I also have 3 Negtear R7000's up for sale!

Good choice.. I have two Unifi AC Pro's at home. (Aslo purchased the cloudkey) No show stopper issues. I also have 3 Negtear R7000's up for sale!
So far so good here. Did have an internet disconnect on one of the APs but came back in a minute. Do some testing here with 2 vs 3 APs placed at different places is making me think I can get away with only 2 units... thinking the AC-LR would give me a bit better wireless uplink, but the AC-Pro does have 3x3 1300ac (although only my MacBook pro 2015 has 3x3 ((at least I think it does))). Gotta wait for the cloud key since my local Microcenter is out of stock now. Seems others think like we do about the UniFis

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!