What's new

Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wolf-r1

New Around Here
We're once again looking at doing wireless access points in the business and looking at the wireless charts there's a new AP on the list: Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC. According to those charts this wireless device scores very well but there doesn't appear to be more info in either these forums or else where on this site.

Does anyone have any experience with these units? A bit of searching also indicates that they may not widely available yet.

It seems to be that Ubiquiti is a lean and mean company. They seem to rely on a blog/forum of users for tech support. No tech support call-in. And perhaps no sales engineers.

The Uni-fi AC is currently unavailable ( http://store.netgate.com/Ubiquiti-UniFi-AC-80211ac-Single-Unit-US-Version-P1887C154.aspx ) they are taking preorders for them. You use the same utility to setup all Uni-fi devices my suggestion is buy one of the UAP units ( http://store.netgate.com/Ubiquiti-UniFi-Single-Unit-P1680C154.aspx ), and set it up as a test ( it's $70 the one you want is $300+ ) if you can do all the configuration you need on that then you are good for the expensive one. You might test the low end one I'd bet it does more than what you need already. I actually use the one in my house for HD streams to plex on multiple devices at once with no issues I abuse it pretty well and have yet to have an issue. We've also setup 8+ of these at a clients location and i've yet to ever have a phone call with a wireless issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Considering that this is for business and if I'm not around when problems occur, we might need better support other than their forums.

I'm very interested in the Ubiquiti UniFi products. A very inexpensive way to provide managed Wifi (however it doesn't seem to have a built in Radius server) and what is supposedly a true mesh solution with their V3 upgrade.

Tim, do you plan to test? I'd be fine if you tested the $80 2.4Ghz LR N product. :)

I'm very interested in the Ubiquiti UniFi products. A very inexpensive way to provide managed Wifi (however it doesn't seem to have a built in Radius server) and what is supposedly a true mesh solution with their V3 upgrade.
Be sure you're OK only user-community tech support. No live people answer sales or tech support phones. eMail request for help is hit or miss. That's one reason they're low cost.

It appears to score well because it is the only 11ac AP. if you compare the throughput vs. attenuation curve to the ac routers in the charts, you will see its 5GHz range is not very good.

Thanks for the hardware review, but honestly I'm more interested in the UniFi 3.0 control software capabilities.

Everyone I speak with tells me the UniFi hardware is robust and can handle many users and doesn't lockup/fail. The fact its 5Ghz range isn't wonderful doesn't concern me...yet. I'd be jumping in using their $80 N LR APs and then would upgrade to AC when the hardware matures (if necessary).

Regarding UniFI 3.0, some of my concerns are:

1) Seems like it needs to be actively running on a PC/Mac in order for the Hotspot functionality to work.
2) UniFI 3.0 requires Java JRE. Yuck!
3) No Radius server or the like to provide unique user logins. Seems to support WPA Ent so I could use an external Radius, but....

Have you looked at the You Tube videos that Ubiquiti put up? I gave them credit for showing the tests and the results.

Did the price change prior to "launch"? They were listed (before GA) at $300 now they seem to be going for $400.

Have you looked at the You Tube videos that Ubiquiti put up? I gave them credit for showing the tests and the results.
I did. A key difference is that they run four IxChariot streams and I run one.
I spoke with Ubiquiti on Thursday and they are sending another sample that I will retest. I have also shared all my test data with them, which they are reviewing.

Did the price change prior to "launch"? They were listed (before GA) at $300 now they seem to be going for $400.
I am seeing $300 prices on Google Shopping.

Thanks...

I will also check my local dealer to see if/when they might have stock.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I really hope they test better the second time round... I am building a new house and I have ceiling cat6 runs especially set for three of these babies throughout the house!!

Packetboy.

I really hope they test better the second time round... I am building a new house and I have ceiling cat6 runs especially set for three of these babies throughout the house!!

Packetboy.

If not, buy the N then upgrade to AC once they work it out. The 2.4Ghz N product from Ubiquiti is cheap. Under $100/ea.

We've done a TON of the Unifi "LR" models for our biz client networks, and we've had a good experience with them. They have given us (well..our SMB clients) the performance of higher end biz grade APs like HP Procurves at over 400 bucks a pop, for the price of 85 bucks a pop for the Unifi LR APs.

So you can take several of these devices and spread them around a clients office...and get good coverage and range.

Their "Controller" software is a bit odd at first, but once you're used to it, you can bang out networks quickly. Earlier versions a few years ago were touch with their requirements of Java, and ornery on 64 bit systems (we'd typically install the controller on a lower user member server of a clients network)...but it's been stabilized in recent versions. Looking forward to their "cloud" control version 3 to be released, so we can manage our clients networks from a centralized portal. (much like we do with Open-Mesh products we install with their CloudTrax portal) (also a good little inexpensive product...but they don't have the horsepower of Ubiquiti products...so we keep them for home/light users).

If you want the "highest power" little AP around, try Ubiquitis PicoStation 5. Holy cow what potent little suckers. Only wireless product we've had in our office that gives me full bars on my laptop if I'm sitting out across the parking lot in my truck!

I've only had 1x issue with the Unifi...at one client. Old Mac clients had quirks with it...but have since replaced their primary router (was an RV082, now it's an RV220W) and their switch (a little HP ProCurve 8 port now)...and the problem went away. I haven't the slightest idea why prior hardware was affecting the APs in regards to Mac clients (older iPads, older iPhones, older macbooks...yet newer ones were fine, and all Android and Windows clients were fine).

Last edited:
If you want the "highest power" little AP around, try Ubiquitis PicoStation 5. Holy cow what potent little suckers. Only wireless product we've had in our office that gives me full bars on my laptop if I'm sitting out across the parking lot in my truck!

Beware the unbalanced-link problem with high power routers and APs. The client-to-access device direction is much lower power.
"I can hear you but you can't hear me (or hear me well enough)."

Analogy: Rock band on a stage with 1000W amps versus person in the audience's voice.

Stevech:

You make a valid point to an extent.

Isn't most traffic unbalanced, ie downstream is more bandwidth than upstream? Unless its file transfers/uploads an asymmetric stream shouldn't be the end of the world.

If machine X us doing that type of work it should probably be on a wire IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes, most traffic loads for internet work is "asymmetric". That's why cable and cellular and DSL are asymmetric (up/down rates - it's driven by the economics of network capacity costs).

But 802.11 does not support asymmetric speeds (perhaps it's an option in 802.11ac or some such). So... the weakest link governs the Bi-Directional speed for any one client. For example: if the client device has a weak transmitted signal and that enables only, say, x Mbps in the from-client direction, then the "to-client" direction must slow down to the same x Mbps to match and be symmetric. This is on a frame by frame basis, as conditions change, for each client. A million watt AP or router wouldn't change things.

Again, some options in new WiFi permit asymmetric uplink/downlink rates. I'm not sure which, nor how pervasive that option is in all kinds and sorts of consumer client and access devices.

Police and Fire radio systems are notoriously asymmetric (in power). The hilltop repeater is 100W but the portable radios are 5W. So often, a user can hear the repeater in many places where the repeater cannot hear the portable.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!