What's new

Ubiquiti UniFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roldogg

Regular Contributor
I've been using this forum for years and have always been able to get valuable information about anything I would be having trouble with regarding my home network. However, I've finally decided to exit the rat race of consumer grade routers and the marketing that comes with them. I've decided to switch out all of my equipment for the Ubiquiti UniFi series router/gateway, switches, and APs.

I was wondering if any of these products are covered anywhere in this forum. I tried searching and looking around in individual threads, but I can't seem to find anything dedicated to the UniFi product line. Does anyone know if these items are discussed anywhere that I might possibly be looking over? I hate to think of leaving this forum since everyone here is so knowledgeable. I think you're gradually going to see more and more consumers go this route over time. If anyone knows if these products are covered somewhere, please let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'll have to second that. Even though Ubnt has their own forum, it's not as good as your's Tim. I've been on this forum for years. I'm still on this forum after switching my network to Ubiquiti UniFi products, but I still come here when I need help with something else, other products I own and is talked about here.

Yes, the forum at ubnt will usually get you a solution when working strictly with a Ubiquiti product, but one of the things I like about your forum is there are so many knowledgeable people who know about so many different products, you can get help here if you're having an issue and you're using products from multiple manufacturers. The members of this forum have always helped solve a problem, and they may have suggested using a different product on a network with multiple products made by different manufacturers because of compatibility issues. I still visit this forum regularly to read your latest reviews, and I always learn something new. You've put together a great group of people who can solve any problem I can think of.
For example, since my UniFi products are still fairly new, I don't even know how to setup my router for UPNP, since it involves logging in via SSH and running a couple of command lines, but I guarantee someone could help me figure it out. These products work so much differently than my old Asus router running Merlin, the learning curve is steep. I wish you would start a Ubiquiti thread since so many consumers are heading that direction, and with the members you have, not only would it keep them here, you would probably attract even more members because of the depth of knowledge. More members=more traffic=more advertising=more money plus more products for you to test. Not only would this benefit more members and increase your member base, it would benefit you directly as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I got two of the AC Pro access points to try in my large home. Since I cannot run ethernet nor use any powerline I have the main connected to my switch in the 2nd flr office and the second unit connected wirelessly in the 1st flr family room. Took a bit of trial and error (can't do static IP on wireless AP) but once up and running its absolutely wonderful. Full wifi in every corner of my house including basement.

Love the band steering (have it set to balance), guest network isolation and stats of each client. Not crazy about having to leave the controller running on my office PC (so I can use the iOS app) but its no big deal. Speeds are just as good as being connected wirelessly in my office with the old Asus 68U.

What I absolutely love is not caring what network my devices connect to (or steer to) between 2.4G and 5G. The network just works with the strongest/fastest connection. I most likely will return these units after a week of trial for three reason:

1) they are made for wall/ceiling mounting which will not work for me
2) running the controller full time
3) waiting to trial the new AmpliFi HD (also a Ubiquiti product) router/mesh (being released 8/15/16)

IMO, this is how wifi should work at home..... bout' time the 21st century caught up.

I'll have to second that. Even though Ubnt has their own forum, it's not as good as your's Tim. I've been on this forum for years. I'm still on this forum after switching my network to Ubiquiti UniFi products, but I still come here when I need help with something else, other products I own and is talked about here.

While there's some movement - remember that the forums here are broad spectrum, and there's a strong emphasis here on certain vendors, which attracts users that have purchased gear from those vendors...

Tim has done a great job of curating a community - but if you need specific support on a specific vendor, it's up to a community expert perhaps, if available, to assist - and those experts contribute as a volunteer effort, they're not paid... they do it because of the community built here, and a sincere appreciate for the products.

You will always be better off wtih product specific questions by contacting the vendor's customer support team directly (and you'll likely find some tribal wisdom perhaps on their forums - and some are better than others).

Yes, I agree. He has done a wonderful job attached not only creating an excellent forum full of diverse knowledge, I enjoy his reviews as well. I still visit this forum even though I have a different wireless system now. I still have a QNAP device and have been buying some smart home devices, which have also become very popular.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk