What's new

unbranded QOTOM-Q190G4 S02 -some opinions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cake

Just got this as a replacement for my broken AC68U. Of course most people probably buy the consumer AC Asus routers is for the wireless AC and RMerlins features. I think the Asus (pre FCC rules!) routers are a very good deal for the money. I spent about 200 USD on this (32GB SSD, 2GB ram) and still need to buy a dedicated AP. I have some older stuff that can act like a AP, but very weak range and G/N only.

Well this firewall/router box alternative:
4 Intel WG82583 Ethernet controllers with a Intel J1900 CPU. You may have seen them mentioned here and on pfsense forums.
There is not much on the Internet about this box in way of details that I am interested in. So I share.
The AC adapter is 100-240V 50/60Hz (max output is 60 watts (12V 5A)) 3 pronged mains plug, I think it has some large capacitors inside (good) because when unplug the led inside the adapter takes forever to bleed it off, it can almost power up the unit for a half second. American Megatrends BIOS with the option to Restore AC Power Loss to Power ON after AC is back. There is also a cmos battery, and jumper to clear it. There is also some pins for a fan (4 pins type- variable speed), and the normal power, hd activity, reset pins as well. The design has the cpu using the metal case for passive cooling. Those black holes labeled wifi are for your antenna if you install a mini pci wifi card inside. This unit runs warm to hot. I have it located in a hot place (40 C), cpu mostly idle is at 54 C. I am interested in power consumption, but have no tools to check that. OpnSense installs nice providing you use download the right firmware- doh.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,445
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,227
There is a fair amount of discussion on Dennis Woods thread with regards to the QOTOM box - his experience was fairly positive...

Qotom is a brand itself. lol. Looking at their website, they offer many more with lots variety: http://www.qotom.net. Appear like a solid company to me.

Personally I didn't buy MSFT's pitch of PC everywhere in the old days. Maybe due to that a VGA port carries a negative connotation for embedded systems in my book.

Other than that it looks like a solid workhorse for lots of things including soft router.

I bought mine on fleabay, not sure if its a knockoff of Qotom, or if Qotom is the knockoff or if it is a Qotom, so I just titled my post unbranded since it has no markings. You know how things go...some factory produces a couple thousand, then the next guy comes along and say I'll take a couple thousand too. lol
I think on a hot day with some moderate usage this thing can just about fry a egg on the case. CPU is 60C all day today. I am really happy with it so far. OpnSense has quiet a learning curve and different way of thinking and organizing stuff. I have found just doing what I think I should do is working better then following some of the instructions from others.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!