What's new

undelete large files

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clvk07

Hi

I need to undelete a file ( size 20GB) but can not find any software which works. File is seen as 0 size. I did not overwrite the file.

Any tips? Thanks

How do you know you have not overwritten it? What kind of file? Was this on a single partition with the OS installed or a dedicated data drive or partition? Without cloud type folders on that drive such as OneDrive or Dropbox.

What file format is the drive configured for?

If the file is seen as 0 bytes to recovery software, one possible way would be to manually reconstruct that file with a disk software utility by manually recovering any parts of the file individually and merging them together properly and in order.

Recuva is my usual go-to tool when undeleting a file. No idea if it has any size limitation, and make sure you get the real software, not the payware one that is advertised as Recuva, but shows a different name when you install it.

Recuva can be run in portable mode, so you can unzip it on a USB disk to limit any risks of overwriting your file.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!