What's new

Unexpected reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I was working from home this afternoon when suddenly all the apps on my employer's laptop froze. Given that their systems are often slow and the VPN connection somewhat flaky, I didn't think much about it until a message popped up to check my Internet connection. So I tried the web browser on my own laptop, which was running alongside the other one and that confirmed that my Internet was down. Also, the led lights, being controlled by the script in amtm were off (and they stayed off). Now I'm pretty sure there hadn't been any interruptions to the power supply, but when I logged on to the router GUI, it was clear that the RT-AX88U had rebooted, even though the leds remained off. I have plugged in a device into the mains which will tell me for sure if there are any power cuts, however brief, so I shall be able to eliminate that as a factor. Is there any other way to try to find out what might be the cause if this happens again?

If your power is not stable and possibly suspect, buy a UPS and avoid these types of mysteries. :)

At the very least your equipment will be protected and you'll know to look elsewhere for issues.

(Be sure to plug in your entire network infrastructure on the UPS (or multiples, if necessary), including the modem/ONT, router, switches, etc.).

I've ordered a UPS, which is coming tomorrow, but I'll only be able to use the data protection feature until the IEC to Cloverleaf cable that I have ordered separately arrives a few days later. In preparation, I have split the connection from the modem to the router and temporarily joined the two cables with an Ethernet connector that was no longer in use. All I've got to do tomorrow is remove the connector and connect the two Ethernet cables into the back of the UPS. If I'm happy with the UPS I have chosen, then I may buy another one for the modem, which is in a different location.

huh?... all you need is the power connections to your devices from the ups - orderly shutdown of a modem or router is unlikely supported... I must be missing something...what did you buy?...

The firmware version and if you are or are not running any scripts, have a usb device etc running would be potentially useful to know. These would be the first thing I would look at with a random reboot.

Personally, I schedule a reboot during the early a.m. to ensure a fresh environment for daytime hours and have not seen a random reboot. AX88U, 384.18, no scripts or USB devices.

huh?... all you need is the power connections to your devices from the ups - orderly shutdown of a modem or router is unlikely supported... I must be missing something...what did you buy?...
I purchased this one. I'm assuming that the Ethernet connections are to protect the router from any power surges along the data cables, but I'm only guessing and won't know for sure until I receive the device later today.
Screenshot - 27_09_2020 , 13_36_52.jpg

Actually, I've just watched the video on Amazon and it explains the purpose of the Ethernet connectors.

Last edited:
The firmware version and if you are or are not running any scripts, have a usb device etc running would be potentially useful to know. These would be the first thing I would look at with a random reboot.

Personally, I schedule a reboot during the early a.m. to ensure a fresh environment for daytime hours and have not seen a random reboot. AX88U, 384.18, no scripts or USB devices.
I'm using 384.19 and have two USB flash drives attached, one for scripts (spdMertin, ntpMerlin, FlexQoS, htop, Diversion (+GUI stats) and Skynet) and one for Traffic Data (formatted as NTFS).

If I get any more random reboots (I've only had one so far), I'll try setting up a reboot schedule for about 5.30 AM to see how that goes.

I had to shut it down yesterday as I needed to take it off the wall to protect it from any bits of plaster dropping onto it from the hole in the ceiling while feeding in the new cable that will connect to the UPS unit. Before turning if off, I dismounted both the USB flash drives. It's running nice and stable at the moment and nice and cool too.
Screenshot - 27_09_2020 , 13_57_35.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot - 27_09_2020 , 13_52_41.jpg
    Screenshot - 27_09_2020 , 13_52_41.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 97
I thought I had received a faulty UPS as it was showing "Low Battery" and despite leaving it plugged in overnight, the low battery warning light remained on. However, I discovered this morning that the fuse holder had not been fully screwed in and tightened (I only noticed when I went to check if the fuse was missing). After rectifying that, the unit started charging and now appears to be working correctly, although Cyberpower support have suggested I simulate a power failure while having a low-power device such as a lamp connected to it. I'll give that a try before I plug in my router, just to make sure that everything is working as it should.

I've tried the reboot schedule over the last couple of days but that just destabilised the router in my case - continual messages in the log about looking for something to do with the reboot, although I can't remember the exact message, plus higher CPU usage than normal, although not the 100% spikes I was getting after rebooting from the main power switch without first unmounting the USB flash drives. So, I have disabled the reboot schedule and connected the UPS I purchased into the router's power unit with an IEC to Cloverleaf adapter cable. I tested the UPS by unplugging it's power unit and there wasn't even a flicker from the router's power LED, so everything seems to be OK now and I have the added bones that the UPS also protects the WAN input from extraneous electrical "noise."