What's new

Unexplained iOS device packet loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Morac

This morning, my Internet went out briefly (ISP outage). While it was going up and down, I decided to run some ping tests from an iPhone and iPad and saw pretty bad packet loss. On a whim I decided to ping my router and still saw bad packet loss (over 30%). I already had airtime fairness disabled, but I tried disabling universal beamforming with no luck. I tried changing 5 Ghz wifi channels with no luck. I powered the my AC88u running Merlin 384.4_2 off and on, but the problems remained. Finally I rebooted both my iPhone and iPad and the problem went away. At that point, I lost IPv6 which I had to disable IPv6 and re-enabled it to get back.

Any idea what went wrong here?

This has been happening for the past month/ Today we loat all connections with all things Apple by noon, then the ISP was going up and down like a yoyo. When it came up again bandwidth was reduced to a trickle; powered the network down, cycled everything, to no effect; it was like dial-up. Couldn't ping apple and Ethernet was the same. Did other work until a couple of hours ago, when speed came back across the network; don't have any reason to suspect we were penetrated according to logs and the the router is OK. With the level of DDOS and other attacks ramped up globally coming from Russia alone, it's affecting everyone.

We thought at first the VPNs had gone down, but access over cell wireless had good speed (on an old Lumia phone; go figure). Our ISP usually manages to keep things running fine at over 99% uptime, but this mess is becoming extremely serious these days from the world maps we've seen. Sometimes all you can do is read a book and cross your fingers. Good luck to us all. Cheers

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!