What's new

Unknown wireless client on private LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mlg321

Regular Contributor
I just discovered an unknown client on my LAN. I don't recognize the name or the device IP address. The MAC address is coming back as "IEEE REGISTRATION AUTHORITY". WTH?

image.jpeg image.png

jailbroken?

If your Airport is running WPA2 (which is does by default), it might have caught a private MAC address caused by MAC Randomization as per iOS8 and later when searching for the AP...

See if it ages out... if it's persistent, then you have something wired on your network...

Simple question that may shed some light. Are you a satellite TV subscriber aka Direct TV, Dish etc.? If so it's probably using a satellite modem connected to your internet modem/router. I see DTV devices on mine as each box has a media server and registers on a separate ip address. Freaked me out too :)

Simple question that may shed some light. Are you a satellite TV subscriber aka Direct TV, Dish etc.? If so it's probably using a satellite modem connected to your internet modem/router. I see DTV devices on mine as each box has a media server and registers on a separate ip address. Freaked me out too :)

Hotwire TV and Internet but everything is hard wired.

Hotwire TV and Internet but everything is hard wired.
Not familiar with that set up (Hotwire). My DTV Genie satellites use wireless to connect to the main DVR, although that and the dish itself is connected through lan.