What's new

Unstable after updated to version 380.66_0 onwards

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

potiff

New Around Here
RT-N66U reboot itself whenever Speedtest App was initiated on iPhone7
it will also reboot itself every now and then

My router was installed with Entware-ng and Strongswan v5.5.1
Connected to internet via USB 4G Dongle
Everything was stable at firmware version 380.65_4
IPSec VPN tunnel establish, WIFI working, all good

This only happen after updated to version 380.66_0 onwards
380.68-0 was released recently and i was hoping the bug is fixed
so I updated to the latest version and the same problem persist

I need to downgrade to 380.65_4 again in order to keep the IPSec VPN tunnel working

You need to disable Entware and Strongswan (whatever that is) as well as the VPN and anything else exotic you might have draining the router's will to live, and see how that goes. If and when you're sure the router's stable, you would add each of them, one by one over a long enough time for you to be sure the last service you added definitely didn't affect the stability. You will then either find either the router is unstable or which one of those services is dragging it down.

If, even, with no additional services (except of course your 4G dongle) the router itself is unstable, you need to restore it to factory default settings and then try again.

Does the syslog give any indication of the problem before it reboots itself. What's the CPU and RAM usages like (and temps); anything abnormal?

I am also having issues since 380.66 and also have a 4G dongle. When browsing I find it hangs within a few minutes and I have to hard reboot the router. I have tried with 380.66 resetting to factory settings and then reconfiguring to no avail, and reverted to 380.65_4 which is stable.
I have tried today with 380.68 and get the same behavior so have again reverted to 380.65_4.

I am also having issues since 380.66 and also have a 4G dongle. When browsing I find it hangs within a few minutes and I have to hard reboot the router. I have tried with 380.66 resetting to factory settings and then reconfiguring to no avail, and reverted to 380.65_4 which is stable.
I have tried today with 380.68 and get the same behavior so have again reverted to 380.65_4.

Having factory reset it, which was a wise move, you must be wondering is the problem related to the 4G dongle. You need to know for sure rather than keep wondering. Is there any way you can test the router with a conventional modem? A friend's or relative's?

Anything in syslog that might give a clue?

You didn't say which router model you have. Does it have 2 USB slots - USB2 and USB3 - is it worth trying the dongle in the other slot (you've probably done that)?

Thanks. I decided the same earlier this evening and put back 380.68 and did a factory reset with the intention of finding out which feature causes the problem. My router is RTN-66U with 2 USB slots
I started with my USB modem (actually android phone on 4G) in upper slot - seemed fine.
Added USB disk on lower slot, under samba options set Simpler share naming (without the disk name) to YES otherwise defaults. set SAMBA shared permissions for myself (windows username and password). Seemed ok, added another user for raspberry pi kodi box to access
. CRASHING...
Have removed USB disk and disabled SAMBA share and am retrying.
Will post findings if it's just 4G causing crashing.

Last edited:
You need to disable Entware and Strongswan (whatever that is) as well as the VPN and anything else exotic you might have draining the router's will to live, and see how that goes. If and when you're sure the router's stable, you would add each of them, one by one over a long enough time for you to be sure the last service you added definitely didn't affect the stability. You will then either find either the router is unstable or which one of those services is dragging it down.

If, even, with no additional services (except of course your 4G dongle) the router itself is unstable, you need to restore it to factory default settings and then try again.

Does the syslog give any indication of the problem before it reboots itself. What's the CPU and RAM usages like (and temps); anything abnormal?

when I found out of the instability after an upgrade from 380.65_4 to 380.66_0
I suspect it could be entware and strongswan configurations conflict with the newly loaded firmware
and yes, I did reset all settings back to factory default, mkfs.ext3 the 4gb microSD,
rebuild my IPsec VPN tunnel from scratch all over again

still the router is showing the same issue, i have to revert back to 380.65_4

I decided to make another attempt with 380.68_0 after reading your post, reset my RT-N66U back to factory default
right after reset, i was occupied with other things, I didn't rebuilt the entware and strongswan right away,
So i left the newly flash router 380.68_0 with 4G LTE dongle (Huawei E3372) in place

i left all settings intact, only making a changes here and there to establish 4G Dongle internet connection
guess what..the same problem still happenng! this time without strongswan and entware

the router still crash and reboot as described by @mikedw

to replicate our problems,
the quickest way to find out is the run speedtest.net, it will reboot instantly
when the test was done over LAN cable, it will not reboot instantaneously.
still its buggy

I decided to make another attempt with 380.68_0 after reading your post, reset my RT-N66U back to factory default
right after reset, i was occupied with other things, I didn't rebuilt the entware and strongswan right away,
So i left the newly flash router 380.68_0 with 4G LTE dongle (Huawei E3372) in place

i left all settings intact, only making a changes here and there to establish 4G Dongle internet connection
guess what..the same problem still happenng! this time without strongswan and entware

the router still crash and reboot as described by @mikedw

to replicate our problems,
the quickest way to find out is the run speedtest.net, it will reboot instantly
when the test was done over LAN cable, it will not reboot instantaneously.
still its buggy
Well I have done the same to try to isolate the cause. Factory reset, Set up USB Modem (Android phone in my case) leaving all default otions. Nothing else plugged in or set up on router.

Just with general internet browsing it crashes and reboots. Tried speedtest.net and it worked without crashing.

One thing I did notice was that the setup wizard detected USB modem and I clicked apply but took ages and got primary WAN as WAN rather than USB. Had to disable 'Dual WAN' and make 'primary WAN' as USB to get it to take the setting. I dont know if this is connected or relevant.

So it seems clear that 380.66 onwards is unstable for at least two users with the only setting from factory default being USB modem ...

How does this go from here? Are there any logs etc that could be uploaded? Each time I look at the sytem log all seems OK until a crash and then afterwards starts again from a clean sheet..
I really need to revert to 380.65_4 but am happy to upload some logs etc before do so or test something specific further to help someone investigate what's happened in the latest releases.

I reverted to 380.65:4 and it has been stable since, but in order to see if the problem lies in the standard ASUS firmware or Merlin I today installed ASUS official version 3.0.0.4.380_7743
and it has been stable with no crash but it crashes with 380.68 so I suspect issue is in Merlin specific code as the changelong says 380.68 includes 380_7743 code.

To try and see if the two users in this thread were alone, I've looked and found others with similar issues with USB modem and RTN-66U and releases after the working 380.65_4:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/bug-in-380-66_6-ac88u.39939/#post-333575
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/bug-in-380-66_6-ac88u.39939/#post-333611
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...67-is-now-available.40191/page-10#post-337510

I'm happy to reflash a version with the assumed bug and test what I can or provide logs etc to get this fixed.