What's new

Untangle at Home Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
untangle_asus_unit.jpg
Untangle at Home brings a full-featured UTM router within reach of consumers.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

So are they locking out basic features such as the OpenVPN server and adblocking unless you pay the monthly fee?

Last edited:
So are they locking out basic features such as the OpenVPN server and adblocking unless you pay the monthly fee?

Looks like the "Platform + free apps" still have OpenVPN server. The comparison between the tiers is shown at this page. Looks like an interesting alternative to pfSense

Edit: Show stopper for me is no DHCPv6-PD support for IPv6 WAN connection.

Last edited:
I preferred the Untangle interface and reporting over pfSense. I was put off by having to set up firewall rules in two separate areas of the GUI though. IIRC, anything besides udp/tcp has to be done somewhere obscure- I discovered this when I could ping from my DMZ into my LAN.

Nice to see that it can come preinstalled on a home router.

I am also a fan of Untangle for home. I have been using it for about a year now. I have tried many UTM's but none have worked well in my environment until I tried Untangle. I am not, however, using it on the Asus platform. I am running it on a PC. Nice to see them developing it for more platforms.

Just want a confirm, from your review, does it mean that RT-AC88U with all features fully enabled has throughput performance of at least 170Mbps? Or was some features off?

"I usually have 100% of the traffic on the AirFiber WAN, since that supports 170 Mbps download."

This looks to be talking about the Wan connection how are you getting that as the router speed with features on or off? unless I'm missing something I don't see that implied.

"I usually have 100% of the traffic on the AirFiber WAN, since that supports 170 Mbps download."

This looks to be talking about the Wan connection how are you getting that as the router speed with features on or off? unless I'm missing something I don't see that implied.
No, I didn't get router speed, so I ask him whether he had actually test its speed as he mentioned that about using router's failover mode on his own network, and he was likely to do a speedtest in that case. I'm not sure if he gave an example on how dual-WAN can be used, or he actually set it on his network.

The only difference between Untangle at Home and Untangle Complete is Home is less money and only for non-business use. No feature difference.

No, I didn't get router speed, so I ask him whether he had actually test its speed as he mentioned that about using router's failover mode on his own network, and he was likely to do a speedtest in that case. I'm not sure if he gave an example on how dual-WAN can be used, or he actually set it on his network.

Ah thanks for the clarification.

I installed a u25 at my home about a month ago after installing a u50 at one of my customers. They are great units with a ton of features. I opted to buy the license so I have all the features. I'm still experimenting though but I recommend.

sounds like a good idea with reasonable cost. shame its not user friendly,there is no way I would have a clue on how to set up. probably end up with something like a big neon sign saying please come and take over every piece of electronics I own- even the non connected stuff:)

sounds like a good idea with reasonable cost. shame its not user friendly,there is no way I would have a clue on how to set up. probably end up with something like a big neon sign saying please come and take over every piece of electronics I own- even the non connected stuff:)

I think you should give yourself more credit if you are a member on this site I think you would be able to set this up with a little patience. If you are someone that has to call geek squad then ya I would look for something else.

Its pretty easy to get the basic NAT firewall up and running. There is a wizard that starts and helps you get the initial config going. Then when you have time you can add APPS and learn about all the capabilities. The help/wiki you can link too from within the software is very good in my opinion. There are a couple of things you don't get with the version that runs on ASUS as opposed to a PC (at least that is my understanding). It is really a memory problem. I believe the IPS module is one thing and maybe one of the AV engines. Can't remember but they mentioned it in the forums over at Untangle.

Its pretty easy to get the basic NAT firewall up and running. There is a wizard that starts and helps you get the initial config going. Then when you have time you can add APPS and learn about all the capabilities. The help/wiki you can link too from within the software is very good in my opinion. There are a couple of things you don't get with the version that runs on ASUS as opposed to a PC (at least that is my understanding). It is really a memory problem. I believe the IPS module is one thing and maybe one of the AV engines. Can't remember but they mentioned it in the forums over at Untangle.

After looking at all the features of Untangle its really deserves a pc build of its own to truly unleash it. Wish there were more Quad core + 1gb ram routers available with better pricing!

After looking at all the features of Untangle its really deserves a pc build of its own to truly unleash it. Wish there were more Quad core + 1gb ram routers available with better pricing!

I think it's pretty impressive that they've put a lot of effort into getting this running on a device like the RT-AC88U - but with all the bells and whistles turned on, performance with a large number of users could be challenging...

Something like the Zotac I mentioned above, or better yet, the QOTOM J1900 boxes (just saw on the Amazon for $200USD) would run Untangle very nicely... they ship barebones, so 4GB RAM and a Small SSD, so in reality, it's probably around $275-$325, and probably want to get a desktop switch (another 50 or so)... but for routing, it would run circles around any BHR...

ty for responses, while I have never had need of tech support for any of my computer builds I didn't understand a lot of the terms used let alone what would be appropriate to do or not.
hopefully someone will come up with a 'guide' with step by step advice for it. things like that usually pop up fairly quick, if I don't see something like that within a month ill take a shot at it anyway.
I too would like a review of this installed on the router(I have the ac3100 so same same) to get an idea of it perf impact.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!