What's new

Update FW using WED GUI or ASUS app?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jim Kirk

Occasional Visitor
My current AiMesh setup is as follows:

Main Router RT-AC5300
Nodes:
1xAC5300
1xAC86U
1xAC68U

Upgraded Main router and 1xNode (RT-AC5300) via web GUI, no factory reset of either RT-AC5300's, and no problems yet, all good, no node disconnections, all nodes and main router behavior is great too date. Other nodes on most current ASUS AiMesh firmware.

Early days maybe, but I have noticed a more consistent signal strength from my main router to the nodes as well.

Go AiMesh.......loving it even more with each firmware update from ASUS. Stability continues to improve. ASUS, next step, give us some functional enhancements to AiMesh, e.g. node reboots from the web GUI, Guest accounts rolling down to the nodes would be a great starting point.

Will report back if I notice anything going on.....

My setup is in my signature.

So, thinking of trying 20942. Based on past experience I'm a little gun shy.
I have two choices for my update procedure.
  1. Upgrade via the web GUI. If I do this would I start with the Parent, let it complete, let it reboot, and then I will still see the nodes after reboot so I can update them. Or, do I update nodes first with parent last?
  2. Upgrade via the IOS app. The parent and two nodes will automatically update (assuming it happens just like for 20648). Then when I sign back to the parent I should see the two nodes again. THIS IS THE PART THAT FAILED WHEN I TRIED INSTALLING 20648.
Words of wisdom on my choices are appreciated

both ways should work, but I would prefer to start with parent-router, then all nodes via GUI. At least worked with my 68U/86U setup.

you can save config of parent, so its easy to get back if you'll have any troubles, load previous firm and on inital setup-pages directly load saved config.

Jim,

As Grisu said, either ways should work. My preference is to use Web GUI on my MacBookPro, as I have a number of NVRAM settings (such as a long dhcp_staticlist, etc) that I restored via SSH.

I recalled when I upgraded to FW 20648, I had to do multiple factory reset, once stabilised it works well thereafter.

PS: Very nice you have 3x AC5300 :)

Hi @Grisu and @LimJK

To add one more point. I am looking to upgrade to FW 20942 on my (3) RT-AC5300's from my current FW 20379.

SOME BACKGROUND:

Since I have a wired backhaul to both nodes I worry when I upgrade the RT-AC5300 Parent FW to 20942 and then reboot, it won't find the nodes because they are wired and the feature of finding wired nodes is not implemented for the RT-AC5300.

If I can't find the nodes then I can't upgrade them thru the parent. Once you can't find a node from the Parent there is no other way to add it back in but use this procedure: factory reset the node router, upgrade FW, make it an AiMesh node, and then add it from the Parent by placing it very close to the parent and use Wifi (same FW on Parent and node).

When I installed FW 20648 on the Parent RT-AC5300 and the node, it was impossible to use this procedure because the Parent would not discover the node. When I pointed out this problem, @arthurlien told those of us having the problem (more than just me) to go back to 20379. Which I did and it seems to be working fine.

So now along comes the current FW 20942.

Why do I worry?

Well this thread's first post says (copied in blue) for the Beta2 FW for RT-AC68U: (full thread is here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...nd-first-beta-for-bluecave.46802/#post-407231)

Bold emphasis shows Jim_Kirk concern (maybe unfounded :eek:) Makes me nervous the upgraded Parent won't find the nodes on the RT-AC5300.

Hi Everyone,
Long time no see~~~
Thanks for using ASUS AiMesh, and we keep moving forward, here are the Phase 2 beta release:
Here are links to AiMesh Phase 2 beta:
******Do remember! This is beta version, might still have some bugs******
RT-AC68U
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B316542/?tag=snbforums-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB45SI4/?tag=snbforums-20
Firmware:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qKuLt5QCJiv9r4xvJlkkHQTNkrvMbYFD/view?usp=sharing
Release note:
- Support Ethernet onboarding (the mesh node search will find Ethernet nodes)
- The wireless schedule could be synchronized of all nodes.
- Support smart-connect rules on nodes. (both dual-band and tri-band)
- Synchronizing wireless professional settings to nodes.
- Synchronizing schedule reboot to all nodes.
- Synchronizing WPS settings to all nodes. (only enable and disable, this action will not sync trigger).
- Synchronizing region selection to all nodes. (Be noted: this function ONLY works under all nodes were bought in the same region, manual change won't help)
- Now you can use Gmail to do feedback.

***I know you guys will ask for other models,will have, but let's focus on RT-AC68U first.

Well, looks like a real problem for the RT-AC5300. What do you think?

Download your current firmware for manual recovery. Then upgrade all nodes, reset/Initialize all nodes, and configure your AiMesh from scratch.

Skip using the app... AiMesh is enough uncertainty by itself.

Good luck! :)

OE

....Then upgrade all nodes, reset/Initialize all nodes, and configure your AiMesh from scratch.
OE

Well, that's my question.

Best way to do this so I can avoid from scratch. When I did from scratch with 20648 had a complete failure and had to revert.

Well, that's my question.

Best way to do this so I can avoid from scratch. When I did from scratch with 20648 had a complete failure and had to revert.

Well, that's my answer. AiMesh is too volatile to not reset and re-configure from scratch, imo.

You've got 3 identical routers! Leave your root node as it is and upgrade the other two and configure a new AiMesh. If it works, upgrade and add the third node. If not, downgrade and add 'em back to your existing root node.

What's with the big, colorful font? :D

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!