What's new

Update to RT-AC66U B1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

arox

New Around Here
Hello everyone,
IMG_6055.jpg
IMG_6054.jpg

I'm new here.
I'm currently on Merlin Firmware 380.70 on my router RT-AC66U.
I know that the support for this router is discontinued, however I noticed that on the box of my router it's written version B1 but not on the router itself. (it's the same MAC address on both).
So I wanted to update with the RT-AC68U_384 Firmware.
However I've got the error message "Invalid Firmware Upload"
How to be sure that it's a B1 model?
What do I have to do?
Thanks for your help.

So I wanted to update with the RT-AC68U_384 Firmware.
However I've got the error message "Invalid Firmware Upload"
How to be sure that it's a B1 model?
You can thank Asus for making things as confusing as possible. There is an Model AC66U HW Ver B1 and a Model AC66U_B1. The former is a MIPS based router, the latter an ARM based router that has common firmware with the AC68U. You have the MIPS version.

Easy way to tell is that the AC66U_B1 has non -removeable antennas and has the USB3 port on the front.

You can thank Asus for making things as confusing as possible. There is an Model AC66U HW Ver B1 and a Model AC66U_B1. The former is a MIPS based router, the latter an ARM based router that has common firmware with the AC68U. You have the MIPS version.

Easy way to tell is that the AC66U_B1 has non -removeable antennas and has the USB3 port on the front.
Thanks.
So that means I cannot update with the B1 version?

Thanks.
So that means I cannot update with the B1 version?
Correct....you need AC66U specific firmware.....Merlin ended support with the 38o firmware. You could also run the AC66U version of my LTS fork.

Correct....you need AC66U specific firmware.....Merlin ended support with the 38o firmware. You could also run the AC66U version of my LTS fork.
Thanks John.
What is the main difference between your LTS fork and the current Merlin.
I have chosen the Merlin only for the VPN settings.