What's new

Upgrade from older 3.76.49_5 build to latest 380.59 build?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

logic88

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Sorry if this has been covered a lot already. I tried searching on this subject but I wasn't able to find anything useful.

I'm running a RT-AC68U with an older 3.76.49_5 build and I wanted to update to the latest build. But I recall there was some issue with a larger boot partition with the newer firmware.

Can I still follow the regular steps outlined in the readme to update?

1. Back up NVRAM with John9527's utility.
2. Flash the .trx file.
3. Reset to factory default.
4. Restore NVRAM with John9527's utility.

Or is there a more specialized upgrade path needed?

Thanks!

Be careful here - if 376 is working fine for you, I'd suggest holding off - 380 has had it's own set of challenges at the moment.

Update to an intermediary build first (I think 378.55 was fine) before upgrading to 380.59.

Be careful here - if 376 is working fine for you, I'd suggest holding off - 380 has had it's own set of challenges at the moment.

Such an old version has multiple security issues, it's highly unadvised to run it.

I've been having weird DNS problems lately. A few times a day, DNS would disappear and come back ~10 minutes later. Or I could resolve the issue by switching from the ISP's DNS to custom DNS or rebooting the router. I wasn't sure what changed in my network to cause this but I figured running such an old build probably wasn't a great idea so I wanted to upgrade.

@RMerlin, thanks for the tip. I'll update to 378.55 first and then flash to 380.59 after that. Do I need to reboot the router after updating to 378.55 before flashing 380.59?