What's new

Upgrade from WR841N to Archer C9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnRob

New Around Here
I originally posted a question asking if folks knew if the jump from a TP Link WR841N ($20) to a more costly router would increase range and performance. I asked because is seemed the transmitting specs of various routers all reflect the FCC limit and the higher cost routers seemed to justify themselves with added features and communication modes with no mention of b/g/n/ performance gains.

I finally upgraded from the WR841N to an Archer C9. I know, quite a jump in cost.

My unscientific result is the signal (measured with my cell phone and WiFi Analyzer) increased 40 db in the two locations measured.

In my most remote location (Asus laptop) using "Speedtest" the download speed went from 25 Mbs to 58 Mbs (basically the limit of my IP provider). I have no AC capable computers so the increase was obtained with the same communication mode.

So for me at least the upgrade was well worth the cost. And not that it matters but the WR841N came with my cable modem I purchased some time back and was only put into use when my old router failed.

I hope this helps someone in the similar situation.

JohnRob