What's new

Upgrade Netgear Powerline Nano XAV5101 Adapters?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I wonder if it is worth upgrading my Netgear Powerline Nano 500 XAV5101 adapters. Two questions come to mind is that of VLAN support and distance. Reading the reviews doesn’t seem to cover these. I run a VLAN trunk with VLAN tags across my Powerline adapters from my media center to my main switch. I extended out my guest VLAN out to my media center to provide support for one wireless AP and to allow me to plug in my DirecTV into the guest VLAN. The rest of my equipment runs in the house VLAN. I cannot tell if all the Homeplug adapters support VLAN tags. Some of the reviews have picture which show VLAN tags as an option. The other question is distance which I live in a very long old house with 3 breaker boxes. It would nice if VLAN tags and distance would be mentioned in the review. And if there is any impact.

Right now what I have is working. I have run 3 adapters connected so I assume they run in a hub type configuration. I don’t run the 3 adapters any more as I am using POE on one of my new Cisco WAP321 wireless APs. The adapter currently add 2 ms of time to cross which can be seen in ping times.