What's new

Upgrade Time?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Prismatic

New Around Here
Hello,
I'm thinking it may be time for an equipment upgrade for my rented 2-story townhome (1650sq ft). I'm currently using a NETGEAR C3700 Modem/Router that's now 6 years old and running on Xfinity 200Mbps service. It's located on the second floor (a loft) and pretty centered overall since that's where I have my hardwired PC. A month or two ago I started noticing recurring issues with wifi streaming and decided to run a speed test. Since that time my results have been 20-30Mbps on 2.4Ghz and 30-50Mbps on the 5.0Ghz network (few feet away). I looked back at some old results from some months prior (5-6) and I have results of 140-150Mbps. My one wired PC always shows about 220-230Mbps when tested. My wifi network has two older laptops that use the 2.4Ghz network and HUE lights. My 5.0Ghz network has a tablet, phone, 2 streaming devices and 2 TVs.

I was getting around to trying to figure out what was wrong with my wifi, when the past two nights both my wired and wireless started dropping out completely. I had to restart my NETGEAR to bring everything back, but this happened several times both nights. Checked Xfinity's outage map and saw no issues and called them to confirm they saw no issues. Today the issues don't seem to be happening. All of this has led me to start looking at the possibility that my equipment may be going bad. I'm assuming it's pretty outdated at this point. I was considering purchasing a standalone router and use the NETGEAR as a modem only to see if things improve.

I'm not too knowledgeable beyond the basics and spent the better part of today checking reviews on a bunch of routers (which somehow led me to this forum). It looks like ASUS is pretty well regarded here and the AX-86U seems to be the go-to recommendation from what I've seen so far. Would something like that be overkill for my use? Looking forward to hearing any thoughts about my issues.

Other details I can think to add:
I'm probably going to upgrade to a higher speed tier soon.
This year I plan to upgrade my personal laptop with a 2022 model and possibly my phone as well.

If I can provide more details or info, please ask.

I went ahead and purchased the AX-86U (going to take advantage of BB's 15% off trade-in coupon) and hooked it up today. My hardwired speeds remain the same while my wifi is now getting 240Mbps on 5Ghz and 100Mbps on the 2.4Ghz (up from 40Mbps on both before). Hopefully, this will resolve my connection dropping out as well.

Are there any basic recommended settings guide I should know about for the ASUS routers? I've left everything set to the defaults. Thanks.

I'm thinking it may be time for an equipment upgrade for my rented 2-story townhome (1650sq ft). I'm currently using a NETGEAR C3700 Modem/Router that's now 6 years old and running on Xfinity 200Mbps service.

I would seriously consider upgrading the C3700 as part of your planned series of updates.

The C3700 is DOCSIS 3.0, and Comcast is pushing to get folks on to DOCSIS 3.1 - if you are presently renting that modem, now is a good time to purchase your own.

The ARRIS Surfboard SB8200 is a discrete modem (not a residential GW), and is well regarded.

(I use one myself)

Best Luck on the rest of your upgrades...

I would seriously consider upgrading the C3700 as part of your planned series of updates.

The C3700 is DOCSIS 3.0, and Comcast is pushing to get folks on to DOCSIS 3.1 - if you are presently renting that modem, now is a good time to purchase your own.

The ARRIS Surfboard SB8200 is a discrete modem (not a residential GW), and is well regarded.

(I use one myself)

Best Luck on the rest of your upgrades...
Thanks, I'll consider doing that as well.