What's new

Upgrading ASUS RT-AC87u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

samb

Regular Contributor
Hello,

Currently what's on the market you would consider and upgrade to this router? I am thinks of getting a new router and switching from this, any ideas?

I was thinking about the 68u or WRTG1900 or even AC3200. I am not really a fan of netgear as I fine their firmware lacking a little.

Thanks
Sam

Hello,

The more I read the more I think I should have gone with the Asus RT-AC68U for the stability and compatibility. I just feel if I go with that router now that I am "downgrading".

-Sam

Buy RT-AC68P.

Not happy with AC87U?

Hello,

Its had a few niggles but my worry is long term stability and compatibility, the mixture of the cutting edge technology and the Quantenna chip has me worried as I understand Asus doesn't have much leeway (or access) to the driver itself. So my train of thought is perhaps the 68U will offer a better long term solution.

-Sam

I must agree with you on Quantenna chip being problematic with some clients but latest FW versions should fix those issues or by disabling beamforming on older versions would do the trick on RT-AC87U.

I don't think it worth the money buying another model for now, wait for next generation routers (RT-AC5300), expending money on RT-AC68U (older model) or RT-AC3200 even i consider it a better router, doesn't make too much sense IMO, it's more of the same...

Next generation will bring at least faster CPU (1.4GHZ) double the RAM (512MB) and new radios for the same price as RT-AC3200 probably, which has the same RT-AC68U (BCM4708) / RT-AC87U (BCM4709) CPU and RAM (256MB).

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for the advice. Before I read your reply I ended up going for the RT-AC68U, I was getting £25 off and it was time limited so I bit the bullet.

Thanks
Sam

Not too bad. :)

Cloudcheck

You Cloudcheck folks got off to a bad start here... spamming the forums... not good...

And being "Wirelessguru" as a tagline - perhaps even less credibility - there's a lot of smart folks that have really done good work, from local to standards...

Might think about a different approach and reach out to the editorial team and get an article published...

sfx

I think a brick with an antenna is probably a step up from the 87U :D
Interesting that you say that - i sent mine back and replaced with 68u, but the coverage is nowhere near, especially on 5GHz.. I may get another one actually as other options are either Netgear or Linksys and I am not keen on the firmware...