What's new

Upgrading modem necessary?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

prankster

New Around Here
Hello,

I recently received a letter and a phone message from Comcast that I should upgrade my modem so that I could get the maximum performance from their network. My modem is SB6121 which has speed specs up to 172 Mbps download and 131 Mbps upload. My internet plan is only 75Mbps.

I think my modem is still within specs to deliver 75Mbps. Unless, newer modems have other advantages that I was not aware of. I have a very limited knowledge of networking in general. Do I need to upgrade?

Thank you in advance!

Doesn't matter what the spec's say, are you actually getting what you're paying for? If not, upgrade to what Comcast is offering. Otherwise, keep using what you have (imo), because they do other things with newer hardware (more control for them) that wasn't possible with the older stuff (that is their reason to offer the upgrade to you).

The SB6121 is DOCSIS 3.0, and is current...

If you're renting the modem from Comcast, see what they have to offer, and if there is any cost associated with an exchange...