What's new

Upgrading our ADSL hardware, including a new Gigabyte WAN port ADSL router..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

red_pope

Regular Contributor
Ill do my best in explaining how I did it, for performance, and stability.

Basically everything is going to be a lot of layer 1 work. Since I'm already lock down in a 2 year contract with the ADSL service provider. I might as well improve it inside my own property. My current contract is 10 Mbps with a phone number and it is all copper and no fiber.

List of materials that I purchase.

1-- one 66 block.
2- 25 feet of cat5e
3- 8 Bridge Clips
4- 2 Wire Management Posts - "Mushrooms"
5- 100 feet of Cross-Connect Jumper Wire.
6- one Clear Plastic Snap-on Cover for 66 Block
7- one Screw Terminal Indoor Connecting Block C-block
8- 100 bag of Zip ties to secure cables
9-
one Punch-down Tool With Both 66 and 110 Blades. My punch down tools are 100% USA made.
10- one Outdoor ADSL2+ / VDSL2 Splitter, PS-36 Indoor ADSL2+ / VDSL2 Splitter.

I pick the same area in the basement close to my current ADSL ISP installation were all my work is going to be terminated and punch down. I got only 8 phones lines in a star topology, which makes fairly to move and handle. The trick is the ADSL2+ / VDSL2 Splitter, PS-36 Indoor ADSL2+ / VDSL2 Splitter.

I opt for a star topology configuration. The instructions were clear and good to understand.
http://www.homephonewiring.com/route.html#star

Instructions in Mounting the only 66 block.
http://www.homephonewiring.com/blocks.html

Installing thInstalling the DSL Splitter Near the DSL Modem/Router
PS-36 Indoor ADSL2+ / VDSL2 Splitter.
My prefer method and Simple task to do.
http://www.homephonewiring.com/splt-rtr.html
http://www.homephonewiring.com/splt-hub.html

Note: When terminating the wires I use cat5e for PS-36.
There is three entry ports on the PS-36
, Label as phone , ATU-R, and line

1-Phone port is where you connect to the 66 block extension for your phones lines using the same number.

2-ATU-R port is were you connect a short cat-5, one pair [Tx-Rcv-TIP AND RING} prefer Blu and white blue to the
one screw Terminal Indoor Connecting Block { C-block} and coonect your line cord/ telephone port to the back of the router.

3- Line port is where you bring the original ISP cable.

I bought a new ADSL TP-Link D-9 router with a Gigabit WAN port that replaced the old ISP router. It was easy to configured, as long you have in hand your account information, that will be your name and password. The rest was done automatically by the tp link dsl router.

The improvements were noticeable, not the Broadband, that is what I pay for!
but in the Base-band side.

Our WEB pages load more clear, and faster. Our data is using the
Gigabit
WAN port. Instead of the old ISP 100 mps. The ISP ADSL terminal was replaced recently by them. Is made by corning.

Later on, We did tweak our DNS ; Normally, was getting a 250ms from the ISP or 150ms from 8.8.8.8 .
Now we are getting 39 ms using one of servers that are part of the OpenNIC DNS group.

Since we did installed a new router and made those new hardware changes to our ADSL service everything has improve.

We did a lot of testing with our Bufferbloat and now is A grade before was D.

To read and understand what is Bufferbloat.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17883

We are again happy and content campers.
We proof our self's it can be done. Our internet usage is more productive and our WAN port usage is Gigabit with a more robust Adsl splitter.

I hope our experience helps others.

Happy Season to everyone.

Last edited:
L&LD
It took us almost 2 months of research, focusing on our research results and searching the net. It did payoff at the end. Funny side, my daughter started to call me * Dad is going Nuts* but my son stood by my side, telling his sister, stand down! is under control. :}

I give my thanks and appreciation to my wife, in helping me out with her research skills. That came superbly useful.

Last edited:
One thing you could do is run a linux base router instead for things like DNS cache or opt for something like ubiquiti,mikrotik, pfsense for a transparent web proxy cache setup. With those speeds, having DNS and web cache would significantly improve load times especially for DNS caching.

Having your WAN as gigabit doesnt make a difference for 10Mb/s of internet rather tp-link is usually better than what your ISP gives you. Congrats though on your hard work in improving DSL and eliminating modem issues.

One thing you could do is run a linux base router instead for things like DNS cache or opt for something like ubiquiti,mikrotik, pfsense for a transparent web proxy cache setup. With those speeds, having DNS and web cache would significantly improve load times especially for DNS caching.

Having your WAN as gigabit doesnt make a difference for 10Mb/s of internet rather tp-link is usually better than what your ISP gives you. Congrats though on your hard work in improving DSL and eliminating modem issues.

System Error Message

My Broadband was not my goal, but improving my base band.

The DNS resolution has increased 100 percent and by replacing ISP ADSL splitter to a more robust one.

Having and using a gigabit WAN adsl port port has greatly improve my browsing experience.

Yet, when I was using the old ISP router, our WWW browsing was suffering from bufferbloat. Sorry, I have to disagree partially back-up by our results.

We are researching different layer 3 switches, instead of our current layer 2 switch.
We are researching Pfsense, dedicated only as a firewall and for routing purposes.

Thank You again..

Last edited:
Now you're just more confusing. How can you have a gigabit WAN adsl port when ADSL is rj11 limited up to 100Mb/s (24Mb/s by protocol). The correct term is gigabit, not gigabyte (Mb/s not MB/s).

But bufferbloat isnt solved by changing from 100Mb/s to 1Gb/s port, its the router that causes it. Your old router causes bufferbloat whereas your new one doesnt.

Now you're just more confusing. How can you have a gigabit WAN adsl port when ADSL is rj11 limited up to 100Mb/s (24Mb/s by protocol). The correct term is gigabit, not gigabyte (Mb/s not MB/s).

But bufferbloat isnt solved by changing from 100Mb/s to 1Gb/s port, its the router that causes it. Your old router causes bufferbloat whereas your new one doesnt.

System Error Message

You are correct, is not Gigabyte.
It is Gigabits,

Gigabit is 1000mbps (megabits per second) Ethernet, which is 10x faster than 100mbps Ethernet, which is 10x faster than 10mbps Ethernet.

Sorry, I use the wrong words.

According to the TP-LINK Web site technical notes on the router:

Interface 1 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 WAN/LAN Port
3 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 LAN Ports

1 RJ11 Port
1 USB 3.0 Port / 1 USB 2.0 Port

With full Gigabit Ethernet ports, 10x more bandwidth than Fast Ethernet ports, the Archer D9 is the ideal choice for bandwidth heavy users that rely on speedy, reliable connections for bandwidth intensive work such as lag-free conference calls, HD video streaming or online gaming.

I tested the bufferbloat today again and still clear. My CRC errors are zero.

System Error Message

You are correct, is not Gigabyte.
It is Gigabits,

Gigabit is 1000mbps (megabits per second) Ethernet, which is 10x faster than 100mbps Ethernet, which is 10x faster than 10mbps Ethernet.

Sorry, I use the wrong words.

According to the TP-LINK Web site technical notes on the router:

Interface 1 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 WAN/LAN Port
3 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 LAN Ports

1 RJ11 Port
1 USB 3.0 Port / 1 USB 2.0 Port

With full Gigabit Ethernet ports, 10x more bandwidth than Fast Ethernet ports, the Archer D9 is the ideal choice for bandwidth heavy users that rely on speedy, reliable connections for bandwidth intensive work such as lag-free conference calls, HD video streaming or online gaming.

I tested the bufferbloat today again and still clear. My CRC errors are zero.
Your WAN is connected to the RJ11 port that isnt gigabit. It has gigabit WAN for ethernet but not for DSL. The gigabit ports are for either gigabit internet via ethernet or for LAN.

The main feature that eliminated bufferbloat isnt interface speed, rather it is the router itself in how it routes.

Thread title then mistakenly says gigaByte.

I've not seen ADSL (copper wire medium) at an honest raw speed of more than 15Mbps and a net speed at the IP layer of 80% or so of the raw speed.

I pay a lot but love my cable modem DOCSIS3 at 110Mbps down and 12Mbps up, net at the IP layer per speedtest.net.

I've not seen ADSL (copper wire medium) at an honest raw speed of more than 15Mbps and a net speed at the IP layer of 80% or so of the raw speed.

I pay a lot but love my cable modem DOCSIS3 at 110Mbps down and 12Mbps up, net at the IP layer per speedtest.net.

Steve

You are correct, the thread title should said Gigabits, I couldn't edit the thread title.
Sorry!
Recently, our only ISP in my area, did replaced their entry point ADSL to my house with a Corning ADSL terminal, but did not replaced the old issue ISP router neither and the indoor original splitter.
I did replaced all that.

Good cabling, modem and router can improve DSL or copper performance. Usually ISP given hardware tends to perform poorly.

Even with the better performance it doesnt hurt to have a web cache and DNS cache to accommodate the lower available bandwidth from DSL.

Good cabling, modem and router can improve DSL or copper performance. Usually ISP given hardware tends to perform poorly.

Even with the better performance it doesnt hurt to have a web cache and DNS cache to accommodate the lower available bandwidth from DSL.

I like to read on that matter, where should I start?

red_pope, I have to commend you for being able to handle criticism with grace. :D

Some of the things I have learned about ADSL:
1. Use a single ADSL filter for the entire house (at the demarcation box, in my case), rather than at every phone. I used the tree-and-branch topology. All voice on one branch, and an unfiltered straight shot to the modem on the other. Reference

2. Pick devices with Broadcom ADSL chips.

3. Prefer long ethernet cable runs from the modem instead long telephone cable runs to the modem. I think I read this in some Cisco doc, but I cannot find it.

lol, I had quite a surprise while re-wiring the house. I had everything disconnected at the demarcation box, and while I was inside, the friggen phone rang... wtf?! So I went back outside and could not figure out how that was possible... every line was disconnected along with the RJ-11 being unplugged. I track down the phone that rang to discover that some genius ran a separate wire directly from the "Phone Company Only" side if the demarcation box. I am glad the phone rang because I would have never known that unfiltered line was there. It was ruining my ADSL signal and had confused me for hours.

red_pope, I have to commend you for being able to handle criticism with grace. :D

Some of the things I have learned about ADSL:
1. Use a single ADSL filter for the entire house (at the demarcation box, in my case), rather than at every phone. I used the tree-and-branch topology. All voice on one branch, and an unfiltered straight shot to the modem on the other. Reference

2. Pick devices with Broadcom ADSL chips.

3. Prefer long ethernet cable runs from the modem instead long telephone cable runs to the modem. I think I read this in some Cisco doc, but I cannot find it.

lol, I had quite a surprise while re-wiring the house. I had everything disconnected at the demarcation box, and while I was inside, the friggen phone rang... wtf?! So I went back outside and could not figure out how that was possible... every line was disconnected along with the RJ-11 being unplugged. I track down the phone that rang to discover that some genius ran a separate wire directly from the "Phone Company Only" side if the demarcation box. I am glad the phone rang because I would have never known that unfiltered line was there. It was ruining my ADSL signal and had confused me for hours.

Thank You!
I still do have my old work telecom kit, from tone generators and tracers, different kind of punch down tools, different crimping tools for different purposes, from rj-45 to rj-11 and many other sizes from Paladin and lot of testing and terminating tools for The LAN.

My old telephone-handset came on handy. Funny, darn thing could be use for ADSL and stills work. I even got an old gray and square box, triplet multi-meter.

Its funny, the day I retired from the USPS, they told us via a memo to keep the old tools, they have been decommission from the inventory via hand receipt. So I kept all of them at no charge.

Instead of using the standard 5 foot telephone cord, I opt to build me 2 foot telephone cord for the new ADSL router. I was suspecting the distance could cause some kind of attenuation. Our home L-2 smart switch, it was just of relocating the NEW router. Since it does not mount in a wall. I did built a small wood shelve for the router. those, tp-link antennas are big!

The beauty of this new ADSL splitter, the Phone lines and termination could be manage without using additional splitters, it could be manage at the 66 pair block. One splitter for the whole house! Is better than 8. My biggest challenge was crossing those voice pairs with 66 pair clips. I had no choice but to read and do it again.

I told my kids, This job felt like you are writing a 24 page essay for a college class. They started to laugh! they acknowledged, They understand the PAIN!

Matter fact, today's reading still Zero CRC'S and no buffer-bloat.

Your web link is superbly excellent! I read and studied the section on ADSL and splitters.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom/adsl_filter.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPPoA

Thank you for the link.

Enjoy the Holidays everyone and be safe driving.

Last edited:

I think I may have already stated this; with copper wire (POTS wiring) on ADSL I see a 50 / 10 Mbps level of service which I have measured to be up to 57 / 11.5 Mbps personally.

New modem was required, but this does beat most cable systems in the surrounding area as the minimum (50 / 10 Mbps) is never approached as it is often for the cable ISP's (sometimes to unbearably slow levels and much higher latency).

I think I may have already stated this; with copper wire (POTS wiring) on ADSL I see a 50 / 10 Mbps level of service which I have measured to be up to 57 / 11.5 Mbps personally.

New modem was required, but this does beat most cable systems in the surrounding area as the minimum (50 / 10 Mbps) is never approached as it is often for the cable ISP's (sometimes to unbearably slow levels and much higher latency).

Technically, you have VDSL(2). ADSL2+ has a maximum downstream speed of 24Mbit or 48Mbit (G.Bond)

L D

today's reading still Zero CRC'S and no buffer-bloat.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!