What's new

VPN CLIENT - QOS Upload Bandwidth limiter BROKEN when VPN Client enabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cplay

I use QOS - bandwidth limiter for certain devices to cap download and upload.

It caps download perfectly for devices listed however the upload cap does not work what so ever.

Any reason why?

Using 2 x ac86u and 1 x ac68u in ai mesh mode with one of the 86u's as the main router.

QoA implementation has never been perfect. Hence the reason people have tried to improve the implementation with additional scripts. Here is a link to the script from FreshJR that offers some tweaks and a lot of explaining.

QoA implementation has never been perfect. Hence the reason people have tried to improve the implementation with additional scripts. Here is a link to the script from FreshJR that offers some tweaks and a lot of explaining.

I was aware of that script but am only looking to use qos for 4 devices out of 20 devices.

Also, it doesn't explain why qos bandwidth limiting doesn't work for upload but does for download?

Does upload qos lbandwidth limiting work for you without custom scripts?

Nope. My approach to QoS is to have more bandwidth than I use at any one time. So far, that works for me with cable ISP of 100/10.

Given all of the QoS complaints around here, if I needed QoS, I would find a reputable solution and use that instead of debugging something that doesn't work like it should first time.

OE

It has been fixed once in the past.
If you have a problem with the latest firmware, please report it to Asus.

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32797
2018/08/2459.86 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.32797

Fixed Adaptive QoS upload bandwidth setting issue.

Nope. My approach to QoS is to have more bandwidth than I use at any one time. So far, that works for me with cable ISP of 100/10.

Given all of the QoS complaints around here, if I needed QoS, I would find a reputable solution and use that instead of debugging something that doesn't work like it should first time.

OE

Yeah I have same speeds using LTE - however as bandwidth is capped at 1tb per month i have to use QOS for the 4k tvs to halve bandwidth on HDR.

Like I said QOS download limiter works, but upload does not work what so ever.

If any client touches the upload it sends bufferbloat into the sky and causes issue for all other devices streaming.

It has been fixed once in the past.
If you have a problem with the latest firmware, please report it to Asus.

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32797
2018/08/2459.86 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.32797

Fixed Adaptive QoS upload bandwidth setting issue.

I use Merlin latest version for 2 x 86u and 1 x ac68u

Yeah I have same speeds using LTE - however as bandwidth is capped at 1tb per month i have to use QOS for the 4k tvs to halve bandwidth on HDR.

So, you are setting QoS to restrict available bandwidth so that the streaming service automatically serves a lower resolution video?

OE

So, you are setting QoS to restrict available bandwidth so that the streaming service automatically serves a lower resolution video?

OE

Correct, and that works perfectly.

I'm also trying to use it on certain devices that upload a lot and cause bufferfloat to go through the roof all the time.

Irrespective of whatever limit i set for a device on the upload, the device always gets full upload speed instead of the limited speed.

No such issues with download limiter.

RT-AC86U.
It works for me. I tested with my android phone and it properly capped at 5/5mbps over wifi. (for testing).

I remember some differences in QoS behavior between wired and wireless clients, but I don't have an ASUS router at the moment to test the latest versions of Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. I also remember using Traditional QoS with sfq on my RT-AC86U instead of Adaptive QoS with codel. My ISP line is 300Mbps and HW acceleration Disabled wasn't an issue. Traditional QoS with sfq was producing better and more consistent results in terms of bufferbloat control.

RT-AC86U.
It works for me. I tested with my android phone and it properly capped at 5/5mbps over wifi. (for testing).

So, just to confirm it works for you using the following:

1. Enable QOS
2. Set qos type to bandwidth limiter
3. then enable on android device via mac addresses and after adding download and upload caps on 5/5?

Also, are you using fq_codel or sfq?

I remember some differences in QoS behavior between wired and wireless clients, but I don't have an ASUS router at the moment to test the latest versions of Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. I also remember using Traditional QoS with sfq on my RT-AC86U instead of Adaptive QoS with codel. My ISP line is 300Mbps and HW acceleration Disabled wasn't an issue. Traditional QoS with sfq was producing better and more consistent results in terms of bufferbloat control.

Ahh, see not using traditional or adaptive qos, I'm using bandwidth limiter on certain devices.

However, I have noticed like you, that sfq gives better results in terms of bufferbloat than fq_codel even though everyone else seems to think the opposite should be the case.

Any reason why on the 86us sfq would be working better than fq_codel?

So, just to confirm it works for you using the following:

1. Enable QOS
2. Set qos type to bandwidth limiter
3. then enable on android device via mac addresses and after adding download and upload caps on 5/5?

Also, are you using fq_codel or sfq?
1,2,3 = yes

fq_codel

@cplay, sorry, I don't use bandwidth limiter at all in my network and neither do any of my customers.

A few suggestions you may try.

Are you running RMerlin 384.16_0 on your router? Highly recommended at least for troubleshooting. Please see the M&M Config guide to test it properly in the link in my signature below.

If you disable (just turn them off) the nodes on your setup, does it work correctly, after you have rebooted the main router?

What are your ISP speeds? What type of connection modem/ONT?

Even with only 4 devices out of 20 'needing' QoS, I would be testing with the FreshJR script and Adaptive QoS instead to the limits you desire.

HTH.

As far as I know, fq_codel implementation is more like a workaround due to closed source components.

Got it, so why does everyone rant and rave about how it queues traffic better even though in my experience and yours, it does quite the opposite?

Got it, so why does everyone rant and rave about how it queues traffic better even though in my experience and yours, it does quite the opposite?

This is why most router firmware settings have more than one option to chose from. One thing works best for some, another for others. I did share my observations few times about sfq, but many users insist fq_codel implementation is better. That's totally fine.

This is why most router firmware settings have more than one option to chose from. One thing works best for some, another for others. I did share my observations few times about sfq, but many users insist fq_codel implementation is better. That's totally fine.

Got it.

So I’ve tested my original issue and found it only happens when vpn client is running.

there appears to be a bug when vpn client is running qos upload bandwidth limited does not work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!