What's new

UPnP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I've just tried a bit of experimenting with the UPnP settings on my RT-AC86U but it hasn't been too successful.

I tried letting my Synology DS218+ set up external access using the UPnP method, but it said my router had failed the compatibility test. One of my security cameras also reported being unable to find a UPnP gateway. Only the Plex server on my Synology NAS seemed to be able to make use of the UPnP facility. So, the way it stands, everything works OK with Port Forwarding but not with UPnP. Thoughts anyone?

I've just tried a bit of experimenting with the UPnP settings on my RT-AC86U but it hasn't been too successful.

I tried letting my Synology DS218+ set up external access using the UPnP method, but it said my router had failed the compatibility test. One of my security cameras also reported being unable to find a UPnP gateway. Only the Plex server on my Synology NAS seemed to be able to make use of the UPnP facility. So, the way it stands, everything works OK with Port Forwarding but not with UPnP. Thoughts anyone?

When you were experimenting did you change the default port ranges?

Internal 1024- 65535
External 1 - 65535

Also did you enable secure UPnP? I don't know what impact that might have as I have never used it.

I would recommend disabling it completely and setup port forwarding for what you want. It may be technically a little more challenging, but it is better than letting every device in your network to decide what services to open up to the internet.

For example, i found that minecraft and plex both setup upnp which i wasn't too happy with. I never intended either of these services to be open out the internet.

When you were experimenting did you change the default port ranges?

Internal 1024- 65535
External 1 - 65535

Also did you enable secure UPnP? I don't know what impact that might have as I have never used it.
Settings were left as default.

I would recommend disabling it completely and setup port forwarding for what you want. It may be technically a little more challenging, but it is better than letting every device in your network to decide what services to open up to the internet.

For example, i found that minecraft and plex both setup upnp which i wasn't too happy with. I never intended either of these services to be open out the internet.
There seems to be differing opinions of the merits or otherwise of UPnP; some saying it's better and potentially safer than Port Forwarding, while others saying the exact opposite. Since Port Forwarding seems to be working, I can stick with that I guess.

I would not leave Synology devices open to the internet. They have had security issues in the past.