What's new

USB 3.0 Gigabit adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sparxxx

Regular Contributor
Hi guys

I have to buy a USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter (Gigabit).
Which one would you recommend.
The throughput has to be as close to 1Gbps as possible.

I found some with a Realtek chip inside and others with and ASIX.

Thanks.

I've tried both and had more success with the Realtek chipset based adapter (which I still have). Especially with the ASIX based ones...keep in mind, there are a LOT of clones. There might be with the Realtec chipset ones as well, but odds are probably smaller there as ones that have Realtek chipsets are as rare as hen's teeth.

Every usb3 port is rated for 5 Gb/s, this is equivalent to the bandwidth of PCIe x2. This lets you have 2 gigabit ethernet adapters per usb3 port on your computer. Each port on your motherboard should have its own 5 Gb/s of bandwidth hopefully so if you have 6 usb3 ports you can add 12 gigabit ports without fighting over bandwidth.
Each gigabit ethernet link is 2 Gb/s total if you consider bidirectional.

Ofcourse theres nothing stopping you from adding 100 gigabit ethernet ports from a single usb3 port and having them all work at the same time as long as they dont use up the 5 Gb/s bandwidth in total :p

If usb3 is rated as 5 Gb/s per direction than you can have 5 adapters per port. I guess you would need to look up the usb3 specs

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!