What's new

USB 3.0 Impact on 2.4Ghz Wifi is Real

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Roy2001

Occasional Visitor
The day before when I did site survey, and was surprised to find out that all my neighbor's router were gone, I thought it was due to bad weather. After 3 days router still sees nothing but 3 weak 5Ghz AP's.

I am living in a house, I can see about 10 weak 2.4Ghz AP's with signal strength around 10%, but they are all gone.

Today I just recall that recently I connected a USB HDD to USB 3.0 port on AC68U. So I unplugged it, and all my neighbor's 2.4Ghz AP's are coming back as usual. So the the USB3.0 cable would impact the 2.4Ghz wifi signal even it is not reading/writing files. I did not test the quality or speed with USB 3.0 plugged in, but I guess it would be a problem if I am far enough from router.

I also tried USB 3.0 flash drive and it is not a problem. So according to this paper, it is expected:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...al-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

The interference for USB3 is usually near field - and this can impact 2.4GHz on the Router/AP itself esp. if one is running poor quality cables...

It's a broad spectrum noise source, and typically will impact channels 6 thru 11 (and thru 13 in regions that allow those channels)

The interference for USB3 is usually near field - and this can impact 2.4GHz on the Router/AP itself esp. if one is running poor quality cables...

It's a broad spectrum noise source, and typically will impact channels 6 thru 11 (and thru 13 in regions that allow those channels)
What's good USB 3 cable? I bought a 6FT triplelit and tried moving the USB drive as far away from router as possible but it didn't make a difference. I didn't get over 30MB reads. I OC the router too. I was expecting 40MB. I got 90MB with the flash drive and cable on my PC.
This what I got.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812228003
I got because it empathize on Premium Shielding.
"Premium double-shielding cables with tinned copper braid and aluminum Mylar foil minimize signal interference. Molded connectors and integral strain relief assure durability and long cable life. A flexible PVC jacket makes the U324-006 easy to install, even in tight corners and other areas where space is restricted."

What's good USB 3 cable? I bought a 6FT triplelit and tried moving the USB drive as far away from router as possible but it didn't make a difference. I didn't get over 30MB reads. I OC the router too. I was expecting 40MB. I got 90MB with the flash drive and cable on my PC.
This what I got.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812228003
I got because it empathize on Premium Shielding.
"Premium double-shielding cables with tinned copper braid and aluminum Mylar foil minimize signal interference. Molded connectors and integral strain relief assure durability and long cable life. A flexible PVC jacket makes the U324-006 easy to install, even in tight corners and other areas where space is restricted."
USB 3.0 read/write speed is limited by SoC speed, so 1.4Ghz is faster than 800Mhz. The impact is 2.4Ghz signal strength, not USB read/write speed.

USB 3.0 read/write speed is limited by SoC speed, so 1.4Ghz is faster than 800Mhz. The impact is 2.4Ghz signal strength, not USB read/write speed.
I understand that. The signal strength is affect with the cable too. Just disabling USB 3.0 interfering reduction with nothing plugged in will do that. I got the impression using a quality cable will prevent that.

I understand that. The signal strength is affect with the cable too. Just disabling USB 3.0 interfering reduction with nothing plugged in will do that. I got the impression using a quality cable will prevent that.
If you need speed bump, try to overclock the SoC.

If you need speed bump, try to overclock the SoC.
It is overclocked. I was using 1200 before. It's currently at 1000.
For some reason Asus latest router have crappy USB 3 speed too. It advertise 100MB but it doesn't get close to that.

Last edited:
It is overclocked. I was using 1200 before. It's currently at 1000.
For some reason Asus latest router have crappy USB 3 speed too. It advertise 100MB but it doesn't get close to that.
You should also try another drive to see if it makes a difference.
With my flash drive, I also get a max speed of 15-20MB/s.
When I however connect a 2TB WD mechanical drive, I get download speeds between 50 and 60 MB/s!

What's good USB 3 cable?

Most of the OE cables provided with external drives are good enough, as the drive vendors are aware of the challenges here...

I do worry a bit about some of the "high end" stuff sold - as who certifies this - easy enough to put a label on things - the most common thing I've found is shielding not connected to the connector itself...

There's a whole 'nother issue with third party USB-C cables at the moment - many of those are non-compliant...

USB/USB2 was easy enough - when we get to USB3, everything changed - from cables to hubs...

I thought I remember the ac68u had a problem with that. A revision later and they beefed up the USB cable to the board to stop interference and slow speeds.

I thought I remember the ac68u had a problem with that. A revision later and they beefed up the USB cable to the board to stop interference and slow speeds.

Could you please clarify what "a revision later" means? B following A or A2 following A1