What's new

USB Drives not recognised

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Speedluvver

Regular Contributor
Have a 213+ running latest DSM 6. Last couple of weeks, had external USB drives messing about, a restart sometimes will reconnect them but not always

disks work fine connected to any other device and I have tried all of the usb ports too. anyone else seen this - there is some talk on synology forums of usb issues with dsm 6, but nothing substantial

Thanks

Have a 213+ running latest DSM 6. Last couple of weeks, had external USB drives messing about, a restart sometimes will reconnect them but not always

disks work fine connected to any other device and I have tried all of the usb ports too. anyone else seen this - there is some talk on synology forums of usb issues with dsm 6, but nothing substantial

Thanks
How big is the drive?

Thanks
Not DSM6, but DSM5. See thread here on that topic.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/nas-any-brand-external-usb-drive-bay-issues.32311/
started out talking about external 2 bay drive enclosure.

Generally, USB2 drives work without problem, but USB3 are if'y. USB3 normally do work if plugged in at time the NAS is rebooted. Not sure if this is Linux or Synology DSM customization.
Also, omit USB hub between NAS and drive; for me, that rarely works, no matter the hub vendor.

DS212, DSM 5.2
(too soon to brave DSM6).

Not DSM6, but DSM5. See thread here on that topic.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/nas-any-brand-external-usb-drive-bay-issues.32311/
started out talking about external 2 bay drive enclosure.

Generally, USB2 drives work without problem, but USB3 are if'y. USB3 normally do work if plugged in at time the NAS is rebooted. Not sure if this is Linux or Synology DSM customization.
Also, omit USB hub between NAS and drive; for me, that rarely works, no matter the hub vendor.

DS212, DSM 5.2
(too soon to brave DSM6).

I lost access to any USB devices on my DS213+ (DSM 5.x) after accidentally unplugging one without ejecting.

The only other symptom I had was that the first tab in Info Centre was blank.

Gave Synology support access (not great, but I had no option) - they just said, probably some corruption, reinstall DSM.

Fortunately, whilst trying to prep to do that (sidebar: information seems patchy), I restarted and they came back. It was not the first time that I'd restarted. Maybe support did something even though they thought they didn't.

The only other thing I did (prior to support jumping on) was to go in as root and renamed a left over USB device, but I did re-test after this and it had not fixed the problem. Info. centre came back as well.

Stuart

I just recently had trouble with an Aukey USB 3 2.5" drive case and Toshiba 1TB HDD. I can plug it into a USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 port on a PC and it sees it just fine. If I plug it into any USB 3.0 port (with and without UBS 3.0 hub) on the Synology, it dos not see it. If I plug it into a USB 2.0 port on the Synology, it sees it just fine.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!