What's new

USB Enclosure/Drive with Spin Down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nheather

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

What I would like to do is have an external USB drive that is permanantly connected to a NAS so that the NAS disk can be backed up as a scheduled task.

I don't to to be plugging/unplugging the drive and issuing commands everytime I want to do a backup - just want it to happen in the background.

I have been told that if I buy a ready made portable USB drive then they never spin down - and that is understandable becuse you would only plug them in when you need them.

So I am quite prepared to buy an enclosure, with a mains adaptor and fit a retail hard disk.

But will that work - are there any combinations that will spin down.

And what determines the spin down - the disk, the enclosure or the computer/NAS that it is connected to.

Many thanks,

Nigel

Hi,

What I would like to do is have an external USB drive that is permanantly connected to a NAS so that the NAS disk can be backed up as a scheduled task.

I don't to to be plugging/unplugging the drive and issuing commands everytime I want to do a backup - just want it to happen in the background.

I have been told that if I buy a ready made portable USB drive then they never spin down - and that is understandable becuse you would only plug them in when you need them.

So I am quite prepared to buy an enclosure, with a mains adaptor and fit a retail hard disk.

But will that work - are there any combinations that will spin down.

And what determines the spin down - the disk, the enclosure or the computer/NAS that it is connected to.

Many thanks,

Nigel
I have the same question, but can add a little experience.

I just put a spare 2.5" 5ooGB drive in a USB 3 enclosure and attached it to my QNAP TS120 NAS to backup some files. It never spun down so I disconnected it. Later I plan to try the same thing with a spare 3.5" USB drive just to see if it works better. The latter drive had no problem spinning down when it was attached to an old Asus router a couple of years ago. I probably won't get around to it for a while, so news from others will be appreciated.

Rosewill made (makes?) a USB enclosure that would spin down the drive after a few minutes of inactivity. Mine lasted about a year connected to a Windows machine with a WD 1TB Green.

Do you mean it broke after a year or you stop using it after a year.

Cheers,

Nigel
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The enclosure broke. As I recall (this was a few years ago), when it started to go bad, Windows would have trouble detecting the drive, which I could fix by unplugging, power-cycling, and replugging the enclosure. Then it would disappear after spin-down. Changing cables and ports had no effect. Eventually I moved the hard drive into the Window's machine, where it's still working fine to this day.

I tried several 3.5 in. drives in several enclosures, with my NAS. Some did a spin-down, some not. I think it requires the right drive firmware and the right chipset in the enclosure's USB interface.

It's all unpredictable.

Windows' drivers seem to cause a larger percentage of USB enclosures to spin-down from inactivity, as compared to the Linux drivers in the NAS.

I have a 2.5 in. 2TB drive in a USB3 enclosure. Seagate (take-a-chance, on sale). I plug it in to the NAS only once a week or so to bake the external safety backup (incremental). The primary backup is volume 2 of my NAS, backing volume 1. Previously I used a 3.5 in. USB3. But the smaller 2.5 in. enclosure, USB3 powered, is so easy to hide, and easy to grab and go if need be.

Some USB Drives - spin down is controlled by firmware in the USB-PATA controller, I've got a couple (older WD and a Maxtor One Touch)

The spindown on those is governed by lack of activity on the USB bus - which is OS dependent.

Others, they might be OS governed, and there I haven't had much luck...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!