What's new

USB - HD disk spin down good?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jbombs16

Occasional Visitor
I have setup my n66u with a 4 bay raid enclosure. I want to know if it is better on the hard drives to have them spin down during inactive times or to leave them on 24/7.

I have read that it is hard on the drives to spin up/down and I am not really concerned with power consumption.

Can someone provide some insight on what is better to extend the life of the drives? - constant on vs. Spin down

I am using the enclosure for media streaming so it isn't necessarily going to be accessed all the time. I was thinking of having the drives spin down after 2-4 hours of inactivity. However, I just want to make sure that won't expedite the eventual failure of the drives.

If spin down is recommended, what would a good time to set for the period of inactivity?

Thanks

2-4 hours would be a good value IMHO. For the usage scenario you describe, I doubt you'd be accessing it multiple times spread across the whole day (or at least very infrequently), so 2-4 hours would ensure it gets spin down at least for the night, and remain spun down until the next access which, I would assume, would most likely occur the next evening at the earliest.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!