What's new

use case in upgrading from rt-ac68u with 800 MHz to 1GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cuekay

Occasional Visitor
I currently have an RT-AC68U with a cpu at 800MHz and was wondering if anyone had upgraded theirs from one at 800MHz to one natively at 1GHz, without overclocking. If so, I was wondering what the use case would be for prompting such an upgrade. Even if you haven't made such a move, I'm curious to see if I would fall under that category or if the new routers with cpus at 1GHz are simply overclocked versions of the 800MHz.

For myself, I noticed that I wasn't able to perform any installations with entware due to limitations, though of what kind, I can't recall - kernel? ram? cpu? I would be interested in running either an email server on the router or an nginx server for a website, or asterisk for a VOIP solution, but was wondering if any of these cases are ill-suited for this particular router, and if so, why they're then available for use for this router via entware and chrooting it. Thanks.

It’s just a wireless router. Even you get CPU to 1.6Ghz it is still a router. If you want to play with a server, buy a NAS (recommend)or Pi (budget choice).

People with gigabit internet connections, those wanting to use their router as a VPN client for their entire network, or people who heavily use USB storage attached to the router might benefit from a faster CPU but most current router hardware doesn't do those things very well and a bump from 800MHz to 1GHz is not significant enough to do anything.

I currently have an RT-AC68U with a cpu at 800MHz and was wondering if anyone had upgraded theirs from one at 800MHz to one natively at 1GHz, without overclocking. If so, I was wondering what the use case would be for prompting such an upgrade. Even if you haven't made such a move, I'm curious to see if I would fall under that category or if the new routers with cpus at 1GHz are simply overclocked versions of the 800MHz.

For myself, I noticed that I wasn't able to perform any installations with entware due to limitations, though of what kind, I can't recall - kernel? ram? cpu? I would be interested in running either an email server on the router or an nginx server for a website, or asterisk for a VOIP solution, but was wondering if any of these cases are ill-suited for this particular router, and if so, why they're then available for use for this router via entware and chrooting it. Thanks.

If you feel that moving from an 800mhz to a 1Ghz dual core proc is of value to buy a new router.. then I would look at the ASUS RT-AC86U which IMHO is just an upgraded ASUS RT-68U. It has a dual 1.8Ghz processor and some other upgraded components. I really don't think there is much reason to spend the money to go from 800Mhz to 1Ghz. Going from 800Mhz to 1.8 Ghz is a different story.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!