What's new

Used to have only a modem with a RTN66u but now a modem/router...how to use vpn?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sir Dan Baker

Regular Contributor
Hej guys,

yesterday my new internet fibre-optic connection was delivered and installed (500mbps up and down yay!) but now I have an issue using the vpn (pptp) server I always used. As my old provider was Ziggo with a cableconnection, I had them put my modem/router in transparent bridge mode and my asus was doing all the routing no sweat.
Now I have a Fritz!box 7360 (os 06.30) and it comes with a router built in which I cannot disable.
The ip-pool of the Fritz is 192.168.178.xxx (asus router has 192.168.178.23) and the ip-pool of the asus is 192.168.1.xxx
Now I have been able to activate the vpn server on the Fritz and therefor I am able to use my homeconnection but I am not able to get into the 'Asus-part' of the ip-adresses. Can anyone shine some light on this subject?

Thanks,

Dan.

Last edited:
Now I have a Fritz!box 7360 (os 06.30) and it comes with a router built in which I cannot disable.

but you should be able to disconnect it and just use your rt-n66u connected directly to the fibre-optic connection ond or ntd

the only reason you cant do this is if you are using the 7360 for voip and home phone services

Ok so it looks like it that after several hours of trying and googling I managed to solve this issue on my own. I managed to implement a static route in the Fritz-box to the sub-net of the Asus, disabled the firewall on the asus, enabled JFFS partition where I put a rule in to forward all trafic.
Man what a job, but it's finally done :).

but you should be able to disconnect it and just use your rt-n66u connected directly to the fibre-optic connection ond or ntd

the only reason you cant do this is if you are using the 7360 for voip and home phone services

Thanks for replying, that would be a LOT simpler. however I don't know if that would require any extra configuration in the Asus? What is OND/ NTD?

Ok, so when I logged back into these forums realised that I totallt forgot to mention that in the end I succeeded in discarding the original provider-modem. I'm now using my RTN66-U to do the job which the Fritsbox has been doing so far. I even managed to configure the ports the same way, two internetports, one telephoneport and one tv-port. If anyone is specifically iterested in the procedure, I'm happy to post it up here.

This actually has been going off-topic slightly as the goal I achieved is discarding the Fritzbox.
I would like to ask another question and that is the following: I can connect perfectly to my vpn from a 4g connection on my iPhone for example, but when I'm on another wifi-network the VPN does not connect, how can I remedy this?

Thanks for the help guys!

Dan.

Please post it here, there are various ISPs that have the same setup, fiber optics that provide internet, phone and iptv. It would help those that want to swap out their overheating/crappy modems or modem routers with routers that have SFP.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!