What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will it restore everything including overclock. Do i have to point twice to two different directory or script knows to restore jffs directory as well where overclock is.
Sorry trying to understand this.

All these options are explained in the QuickStart guide (Step 4). There's really no point in me just restating them here when you can read them yourself.

Ok cool...i'll re-read brother. thank you.
Sorry if my last post sounded terse it wasn't meant to cause offence.

Your basic concern was whether you had to do anything "beyond the normal" to restore the clock settings. No you don't.

No offense taken. The reason i ask is not cause i did not read is cause i'm trying to make sure i understand what i read and my interpretation of it is correct.
For linux admin this is like sun and day but for common person it may not be hance i'm asking.
My understanding was that it does EVERYTHING at once including -clk backup but wanted to make sure now and not search for it few months from now.
I know ppl get annoyed by reading same questions again but that's what the forum is for and there are new green members coming everyday. It's cool no offense taken. Have a good weekend :)

@Rango The nice thing about John's utility is that the backup files it creates are in plain text and human readable. So if you're not sure what it is backing up, or if you're just curious, you can look in the file. :)

Is there a way to reset the QOS settings to it default settings without doing a factory reset or exclude it from the restore?
I think the restore mess up Adaptive QoS on the lastest version. The QoS profiles doesn't get apply when I hit apply.

Hey John

Does this version fully support the RT-AC5300?

I have used it on the 5300 and it seems to be OK, but just wondering if it is supported for the 5300.

Thanks

Is there a way to reset the QOS settings to it default settings without doing a factory reset or exclude it from the restore?
I think the restore mess up Adaptive QoS on the lastest version. The QoS profiles doesn't get apply when I hit apply.
Try this:
Code:
nvram unset qos_rulelist
nvram unset qos_orates
nvram unset qos_irates
nvram unset qos_enable
nvram unset qos_method
nvram unset qos_sticky
nvram unset qos_ack
nvram unset qos_syn
nvram unset qos_fin
nvram unset qos_rst
nvram unset qos_icmp
nvram unset qos_reset
nvram unset qos_obw
nvram unset qos_ibw
nvram unset qos_orules
nvram unset qos_burst0
nvram unset qos_burst1
nvram unset qos_r2q
nvram unset qos_sfql
nvram unset qos_default
nvram unset qos_type
nvram unset qos_bw_rulelist

nvram commit
reboot

What the difference between "a clean restore" & "restore all values"?
When restoring to same router, same firmware version versus, same router, newer firmware?

What the difference between "a clean restore" & "restore all values"?
When restoring to same router, same firmware version versus, same router, newer firmware?
A 'clean restore' will only restore values which already exist in NVRAM. This way, if you install a different level, and do a factory reset, the restore won't put back values which are no longer used or which may have been unique to the level where the save was taken.

When doing a restore on the same level, there is basically no difference (actually, there are a couple of transient values which are different....for example, if you have SAMBA guest access enabled, you'll be prompted again to confirm that you want to allow this if you do a clean restore).

A 'clean restore' will only restore values which already exist in NVRAM. This way, if you install a different level, and do a factory reset, the restore won't put back values which are no longer used or which may have been unique to the level where the save was taken.

When doing a restore on the same level, there is basically no difference (actually, there are a couple of transient values which are different....for example, if you have SAMBA guest access enabled, you'll be prompted again to confirm that you want to allow this if you do a clean restore).

Thank you. So it the best always to do a clean restore"?

Thank you. So it the best always to do a clean restore"?
For the general case, it's the safest. In fact, I'm thinking about changing the default restore to a 'clean restore' for the next release.

Hi, John!

Thank you for this awesome tool. It has saved me a lot of trouble. I just wanted to give you a heads-up of a couple of missing and/or new nvram variables that I've noticed, just so you don't forget and thought this would help out.

I'm running Merlin's 380.58 alpha 3 on AC68U.

dnssec_enable
drop_caches
smbd_enable_smb2
nmap_hm_scan

upnp_secure
upnp_min_lifetime
upnp_mnp
upnp_clean_threshold

vpn_loglevel

vpn_client2_digest
vpn_client_digest
vpn_client3_digest
vpn_server_digest
vpn_client4_digest
vpn_client5_digest
vpn_server1_digest
vpn_server2_digest
vpn_client1_digest

PM_type
PM_attach_cfgfile
PM_LETTER_PATH
PM_SMTP_AUTH_PASS
PM_USE_TLS
PM_hour
PM_day
PM_MAIL_TARGET
PM_SMTP_AUTH=LOGIN
PM_SMTP_AUTH_USER
PM_MAIL_SUBJECT
PM_title
PM_target
PM_LETTER_CONTENT
PM_SMTP_PORT
PM_mon
PM_restart
PM_attach_modemlog
PM_SMTP_SERVER
PM_freq
PM_attach_syslog
PM_MY_EMAIL
PM_MAIL_FILE
PM_MY_NAME
PM_enable

There may be some more, but these I noticed while I did a factory reset and a restore. :)

John, many thanks for this tool, just successfully migrated my settings from an RT-AC66u to a RT-AC87u. All seems to have gone well. :)

Just a quick FYI on my AC-66u running 17E5. When doing the restore the options in Samba for guest login access and FTP server we're still disabled despite having been enabled when doing the nvram backup. No biggie but thought you might want to know. Cheers

Last edited:
I just did a migration from Ac3200 to AC88 - and I seem to have a few things:
- IP range for DHCP was not correctly set
- scripts was not turned on (even though all scripts was in /jffs/scripts/)
- Wrong "host" name - it had the old AC3200
- Did not bring my hostnames (changed in the network overview) from AC3200 to AC88

And I think it was a few other minor things, I will see if I can remember them.

Other than that, it works perfectly. And yes I use R22.

I know it's been a while since the last update.....but R23 is now available!

LATEST RELEASE: Release 23
3-April-2016
nvram-save-r23.zip
Download http://1drv.ms/16pENHc
===============================

Version 23 3-April-2016

Program Changes
  • Handle mac_list differences between fw levels during the exception processing (Merlin/Fork only)
    Note that if you revert firmware from a level >=378.56 to an earlier level using this tool, you may lose the names associated with the MACs but the MAC Filter will still be functional. This is a byproduct of the firmware changes.
  • Include clear-maclist.sh to reset MAC filters if necessary (In case something goes wrong)
  • Automatically correct wl_band vars containing a previously fixed bug
    This would cause the inability to select the radio in the Wireless settings gui's
  • Ensure migration mode excludes were being enforced (running of jffs scripts is disabled)
    This is a conscious decision to prevent the router not coming up after migration due to incompatible scripts (VLANS, MACs, etc used in scripts). You may re-enable the running of scripts after migration.
  • Remove code to delete unused vars during exception processing based on firmware level (use clean restore instead)
  • Added help text during the restore script on clean restore selection
  • Exception processing (fixes and variable adjustments) are not applied if ASUS OEM code detected
    With all the various releases (and overlaps in minor numbering between router models), it became impossible to track what changes may be needed. The tool may still be used, however some 'touch-ups' may be required.
  • Update Quickstart guide with Apple OS info
  • Single Quickstart file in DOS/Windows format
INI file Changes
  • Sync with 380.58 Merlin and V17 fork
  • Reduced number of OpenVPN servers to 2 (number actually supported)
  • Add Tweaks and Hidden settings section
  • Add support for radius server
  • Add user Email vars
  • Add custom icon vars
  • Add Traffic Control settings (future fw)
  • Add section for custom User Adds
    You may edit this section to add any NVRAM variables you may have added for use in scripts, or to temporarily add any variables which may be missing.

Reading the new Changelog and quickstart guide now is nothing but wall of text in Notepad, previous verison was nice clean and easy to read in notepad

Reading current change log and quickstart is more ledgeable in wordpad but no where as clean or readable as the previous quickstart change logs are with notepad

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!