What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the new Changelog and quickstart guide now is nothing but wall of text in Notepad, previous verison was nice clean and easy to read in notepad

Reading current change log and quickstart is more ledgeable in wordpad but no where as clean or readable as the previous quickstart change logs are with notepad
Oh damn.....forgot to change it from Linux format (I don't use notepad and my editor automatically detects the correct format). I'll replace the zip in a few minutes.

EDIT: Fixed, please re-download

Last edited:
Will this back up and restore user define certs for the httpd service? I checked the docs and couldn't see anything?

Oh damn.....forgot to change it from Linux format (I don't use notepad and my editor automatically detects the correct format). I'll replace the zip in a few minutes.

EDIT: Fixed, please re-download

nice and readable once again, this utility is life safer, for when I just to lazy to manual put setting back after upgrading fw or doing a factory reset

Will this back up and restore user define certs for the httpd service? I checked the docs and couldn't see anything?
That's a good question. I never used a user defined cert. I know it does backup the router generated cert on my fork with the 'save cert' option set.

Do you have a pointer to the procedure you used to install your user cert?

That's a good question. I never used a user defined cert. I know it does backup the router generated cert on my fork with the 'save cert' option set.
Do you have a pointer to the procedure you used to install your user cert?

Yes this was it http://www.rickygao.com/how-to-upload-ssl-certificate-to-asus-router/

whats interesting is that if the server.pem file is present when one changes the admin password it resets the https cert to the default self signed one. I have yet to figure out if i delete the server.pem what if any circumstances cause it to be recreated,

Reading the new Changelog and quickstart guide now is nothing but wall of text in Notepad, previous verison was nice clean and easy to read in notepad
Simply use Wordpad - it can read Linux files - Notepad cannot! :rolleyes:

Simply use Wordpad - it can read Linux files - Notepad cannot! :rolleyes:

read it in wordpad before john changed the format was not clean and as readable was with the separate files.

anyway Let say I want to make custom verison of this how would go bout only saving Mac address for 2ghz/5ghz , QOS settings Wan settings, and admin system settings?

read it in wordpad before john changed the format was not clean and as readable was with the separate files.

anyway Let say I want to make custom verison of this how would go bout only saving Mac address for 2ghz/5ghz , QOS settings Wan settings, and admin system settings?
There's a 'nvram-sample.ini' file in the package that includes just the basic settings. The format is a header for each section enclosed in [ ], then the variables to be saved. Should be pretty self-explanatory as to how to edit it to include only what you want...(make sure it saved in Unix format and put in the same directory with nvram-save.sh).

Then when you run nvram-save.sh specify the name of the inifile with the -i switch
nvram-save.sh -i my-nvram.ini
for example.

There's a 'nvram-sample.ini' file in the package that includes just the basic settings. The format is a header for each section enclosed in [ ], then the variables to be saved. Should be pretty self-explanatory...(make sure it saved in Unix format and put in the same directory with nvram-save.sh).

Then when you run nvram-save.sh specify the name of the inifile with the -i switch
nvram-save.sh -i my-nvram.ini
for example.

Would be as simple as just opening up nvram-merlin.ini with notpad++ and deleting the [+] sections i dont want saved and saving or saving it as diffrent name??

Performed first ever FW update to my RT-AC66U and used this NVRAM-Save-Restore-Utility (r23). Awesome! However... I think I blew away the contents of my JFFS area. :eek:

I read how the script will save multiple runs with unique names.
In my case, jffs-20160418-8660. Not sure what the 8660 is supposed to signify.
After I flashed FW, and rebooted several times, I finally checked the box to "Format JFFS partition at next boot". Afterwords I decided to perform another NVRAM Save just to get a baseline. After words I performed a NVRAM Restore and only then did I realize that the previous Save used the same file name--saving a newly formatted JFFS partition.
Here's what I've got:
me@AC66U:/jffs# ls -l
drwxr-xr-x 2 me root 0 Jul 31 2015 configs
drwx------ 2 me root 0 Apr 18 22:13 openvpn
drwxr-xr-x 2 me root 0 Jul 31 2015 scripts
-rw-rw-rw- 1 me root 249995 Apr 23 00:40 syslog.log
-rw-rw-rw- 1 me root 262194 Apr 23 00:40 syslog.log-1
drwxr-xr-x 2 me root 0 Apr 18 22:06 usericon

Bunch of empty directories. That's not right, correct? There is supposed to be some default scripts in the scripts directory? Something in configs? I've never placed anything in these directories, but I don't know if I'm missing some default files.

Any Ideas?

Bunch of empty directories. That's not right, correct? There is supposed to be some default scripts in the scripts directory? Something in configs? I've never placed anything in these directories, but I don't know if I'm missing some default files.
Those directories are for user scripts/configs. So unless you placed something in there yourself they will be empty.

The 8660 is part of the routers MAC address and so should be unique to your router. Useful if you're backing up multiple routers to a single location.

OK--So I guess the rule of thumb here is no more than one NVRAM-Save in any given day ;).
Glad to here that the directories are supposed to be empty. Now I can forget about it and get on with enjoying my router. Next item on the router list: OpenVPN with PIA...

OK--So I guess the rule of thumb here is no more than one NVRAM-Save in any given day ;)
Yes, that's currently true.....runs on the same day are overwritten and only the last one is kept. Admittedly, I did it that way initially so I wouldn't generate tons of files as I was writing and debugging the code. It wouldn't be hard to add a timestamp as well and keep everything now if that's the consensus.

Yes, that's currently true.....runs on the same day are overwritten and only the last one is kept. Admittedly, I did it that way initially so I wouldn't generate tons of files as I was writing and debugging the code. It wouldn't be hard to add a timestamp as well and keep everything now if that's the consensus.

Probably wouldn't hurt to enable that option for us mere mortals. You can of course keep the lean and mean version for yourself. :)

Yes, I think adding another 4 characters for %H%M is probably a good idea. No need for %S.

Uhm, may as well add the %S. How many options can you change and save in a minute? :)

Uhm, may as well add the %S. How many options can you change and save in a minute? :)
Hmm, how long does it take to run the script, make a change, apply it (possibly restarting the router) and start the script again. Probably quicker on routers newer than my N66U. :)

Just a quick note....it seems Microsoft has done something to change it's relationship with Bitly, so the download link has changed....

http://bit.ly/1UhQaqC

(also updated in the first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!