What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that was awfully nice of MS to delete the contents of that folder :rolleyes:
Re-uploaded....

Thanks for the heads up.

Just checked that I could download the latest version and the sha256 hash I get for the zip file is:

B2E370F5A5F81B0EC2053C6EA97B867B29FD18E73800A85B4CCA1109197C4A43

when the sha256sum.txt file indicates it should be:

70df869c4143fe4eec34bfb5373d236d6af9e95768dd6881953a140a4b1b19db

Do I trust this file I just downloaded?

Just checked that I could download the latest version and the sha256 hash I get for the zip file is:

B2E370F5A5F81B0EC2053C6EA97B867B29FD18E73800A85B4CCA1109197C4A43

when the sha256sum.txt file indicates it should be:

70df869c4143fe4eec34bfb5373d236d6af9e95768dd6881953a140a4b1b19db

Do I trust this file I just downloaded?

Yep....yours is correct. I had to repackage it back when I originally uploaded to correct the Linux vs Windows EOL chars and accidently uploaded the wrong sha256sum.txt. It's been corrected. Keen eye :)

There is a way to restore only some parts of backup? Example restore DHCP but don't restore VPN server....

There is a way to restore only some parts of backup? Example restore DHCP but don't restore VPN server....

edit the nvram-save-merlin.ini file.....you'll see the sections enclosed in brackets [xxxxx], followed by the variables in that section. Put a comment char, #, in front of any section you do not want to restore, ie #[xxxxx]

Make sure you keep the file in Linux line-ending format when you save it.

@Alaska99

Or you can make a copy of the ini file, edit it as you like, and save it under a new name. Then use the -i option on the command line to specifiy your custom ini file.

edit the nvram-save-merlin.ini file.....you'll see the sections enclosed in brackets [xxxxx], followed by the variables in that section. Put a comment char, #, in front of any section you do not want to restore, ie #[xxxxx]

thank you john :)

John... thanks for this work... just found this thanks to another member. Looks like the answer to my upgrade prayers. (I'm on a very old firmware version on my 68P).

So... scanning through 24 pages, what I can't find is how to use this. Sorry... but is there a "for dummies" instruction guide somewhere? I'm guessing I have to telnet in, which I have some limited experience with, but that's about it.

sorry for being so dense!

Sorry... but is there a "for dummies" instruction guide somewhere?
There is a Quickstart.txt file in the zip with my best shot at instructions for new users. Feel free to provide feedback to make it better :)

Mean to tell me I didnt need to delete what I didnt want saved? I just could of put # in front the brakets??

Mean to tell me I didnt need to delete what I didnt want saved? I just could of put # in front the brakets??

Are you saying that you were not working from a copy of the saved file?

Was this thread not sticky once upon a time ?

As this utility responds to questions which are frequently asked, I would vote to re-instate the 'stickiness'

Was this thread not sticky once upon a time ?

As this utility responds to questions which are frequently asked, I would vote to re-instate the 'stickiness'

It never was. I'm very, very picky as to what I put on sticky, because if you have too many of these, then people will just skip over them, defeating the very purpose of having a sticky thread.

There's a link to it in one of the stickies however, which points at important information bits.

Forgive me if this has been answered....I looked without luck. Can this script work on the stock AsusWRT firmware? Or is the merlin build required?

Forgive me if this has been answered....I looked without luck. Can this script work on the stock AsusWRT firmware? Or is the merlin build required?
From the first post.....

The utility is still valid for ASUS OEM as well as Merlin releases, although it will not attempt to fix changes in the use of nvram variables between releases (just too many ASUS levels with various release numbers to track).

Right above this entry is a list of the 'fixups' that are done for Merlin but not for the ASUS OEM firmware.

@john9527 ,
Just used your backup/restore on a RT-AC68U running Merlin 380.58 and it was awesome.
1) Restore defaults
2) nvram-save.sh -M
3) reload firmware
4) restore defaults
5) use created restore script from step 1..

I can't recommend those steps enough to anyone having weird stability issues.
Your R24 release works great, thanks for making it!

I am unable to download the tool. Tells me that it is no longer there. Anyone else?

Same for me. john9527 will have to re-share it (hopefully soon). :)

you should post it on github, it would be easier bookmark, track changes, report issues and make contributions

Just a quick question for resssurance. Can this tool be used to move NVRAM and JFFS variables between MIPS and ARM based Asus routers? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!