What's new

Using a rt-n16 as a public ftp router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gwopman

Occasional Visitor
I was wondering about doing this so i dont have to put my main router at so much risk. Worth it or no?

When setting up a server that will be accessible from the internet the primary consideration will always be security. Given that the firmware on the RT-N16 hasn't been updated in over a year and who knows how long ago the FTP server was updated, it would seem a bad choice.

Running a public FTP server on your network's firewall device (router) is also not desirable. You could run it on a dedicated server. Almost any hardware would do provided it's actively being kept up to date with security fixes.

Running a public FTP server on your network's firewall device (router) is also not desirable. You could run it on a dedicated server. Almost any hardware would do provided it's actively being kept up to date with security fixes.

Pi's work good for this - sftp is part of OpenSSH, which is part of Raspbian by default...

Configure OpenSSH (fairly simple), and all is good...