What's new

Using Asus RT AC66U in Wireless Router mode as Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kz99

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

So I would like to use my RT AC66U as Access Point. However, the AP mode have some of the features disabled, like Traffic monitoring and AiCloud. Is it possible to use it in Wireless Router mode as Access Point without any impact on performance?

Thanks.

It will still be useless for traffic monitoring (as it will only be able to monitor traffic from its own wireless interface to anything else on the WAN side, including other LAN devices), and AiCloud won't work properly either as it requires to be fronting the WAN.

This is why those features are disabled when not running as a router, as they pretty much require the router to be fronting the Internet rather than sitting inside your LAN.

Probably also a dumb question but will the openVPN server work in AP mode?

Thanks to a new comcast modem I'm reduced to running my RT-N66R in AP mode. I was going to install OpenVPN on my UNraid server but if I could run it on the router that would be preferable.

VPN was disabled in stock firmware when I changed to wireless router mode.

Tolax

No. OpenVPN requires the router to work as a router to route traffic.

Why are you forced to use it in Access point mode? You have options! I take it you are "forced" to run it in AP mode, because you have a cable modem that has a built in router, and are no longer directly connected to the internet?

Option 1) Go buy a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, without a wifi router (yes you can supply your own cable modem! and best of it all you no longer pay comcast an extra fee for their equipment! DOCSIS 3.0 is the latest standard for cable modem and it is supported by comcast.

**Im going to assume your comcast's router assigns IP addresses on the 192.168.1.x network and that the Comcast Router assigns itself an IP address of 192.168.1.1, if not this still applies just adjust IPs accordingly.

Option 2) Leave it in router mode. Plug a cable from the ASUS WAN port to any of the Comcast's LAN ports. Assign a static IP to the ASUS modem from the Comcast modem configuration use (192.168.1.10), for the sake of the example Im going to be specific with IP numbers. Configure the ASUS router as 192.168.2.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and set the Gateway to 192.168.1.1 (the comcast router), plug in your DNS servers. Disable the firewall on the ASUS router. Configure your wireless networks on the ASUS router. Now if your comcast router supports static routes, add a static route of 192.168.2.0, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.10, if it supports port forwarding find out the ports that AiCloud uses and forward them to 192.168.1.10. **If Comcast Router doesn't support these advanced settings, I want to note that if you buy a cable modem with a router built in, it will support these options and everything I said here, will allow your Asus router to work in router mode, and give you AiCloud support. I had a problem with the RT-AC66 being unstable when it had wired connections, so I grabbed Linksys, connected the Wan port to the internet, and all my wired connections to the linksys, leaving one port open to connect the Asus router, and did all the following steps above and it made both routers work like a dream, over 5 months without a single disconnect, its the most stable wifi network I've ever had. I just exchanged the RT-AC66 for the RT-AC68 today (using my 2 year extended replacement plan I bought from bestbuy) so I will test to see if I can run it solo but if not I know this dual router option will work like a dream.

Option 3) demand comcast give you a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that does not have a WIFI router built in.

If you have any questions just let me know, I'll check back here for you bud. Please let me know how it goes.

Can I use AiCloud services behind another router?

It should work provided the router is still running in router mode and not as an AP, and that you forward the appropriate port (default port is 443) on your WAN-fronting router.

To the OP:

A much simpler solution if you have a combo router/modem from Comcast is to simply go into the modem settings and set it to run in "bridged" mode, turning off NAT, disabling the firewall, and turning off any wireless radios on the combo unit. In other words, just disable all of the routing functions of the combo unit, disable the wifi on the combo, and use it only as a "dumb" cable modem.

That way you can use your ASUS router and you aren't "forced" to do anything you don't want to do.

This is exactly what I used to do with TWC, but then I went out and bought a brand new Arris Motorola SB6183 (16 bonded download channels). No more TWC combo router.

What brand and model number combo cable modem/router are you using? It should be fairly simple to go into the settings and turn off what those things you don't want/need.

Option 2) Leave it in router mode. Plug a cable from the ASUS WAN port to any of the Comcast's LAN ports. Assign a static IP to the ASUS modem from the Comcast modem configuration use (192.168.1.10), for the sake of the example Im going to be specific with IP numbers. Configure the ASUS router as 192.168.2.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and set the Gateway to 192.168.1.1 (the comcast router), plug in your DNS servers. Disable the firewall on the ASUS router. Configure your wireless networks on the ASUS router. Now if your comcast router supports static routes, add a static route of 192.168.2.0, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.10, if it supports port forwarding find out the ports that AiCloud uses and forward them to 192.168.1.10. **If Comcast Router doesn't support these advanced settings, I want to note that if you buy a cable modem with a router built in, it will support these options and everything I said here, will allow your Asus router to work in router mode, and give you AiCloud support. I had a problem with the RT-AC66 being unstable when it had wired connections, so I grabbed Linksys, connected the Wan port to the internet, and all my wired connections to the linksys, leaving one port open to connect the Asus router, and did all the following steps above and it made both routers work like a dream, over 5 months without a single disconnect, its the most stable wifi network I've ever had. I just exchanged the RT-AC66 for the RT-AC68 today (using my 2 year extended replacement plan I bought from bestbuy) so I will test to see if I can run it solo but if not I know this dual router option will work like a dream..
Could you please share the screen shoots of your option 2 setup? Thanks.

I would go for setting your isp provided router to bridge mode as jegesq suggests. Once set up you have full control of your router functions and your lan setup. If you changed isp just reconfigure your modem and login details or pop the new supplied modem in (again set to bridge mode) and bingo your up and running again. I have been doing those in the UK for a while now. I have an Asus router and another a an ap to extend wireless coverage with a modem fronting the lot which is all I change when I change suppliers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk