What's new

Using attached USB drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I'm trying to set up a SanDisk Cruzer 64GB flash memory device to use as storage for my security cameras. It's attached to the rear USB port on my new RT-AX88U, but I can't even get it to format under the FAT system (the progress bar, if it starts at all, stops at around 6-8%.) I've tried using the NTFS format and although that does progress to 100%, I cannot create any folders on it from within the router's GUI. I've tried downgrading to USB 2, but same result. I can format and access the device on my PC. Also, I've tried a smaller SanDisk Cruzer (16GB) but that doesn't work either. I'm using Windows 10 and my router has 384.13 Merlin release. Can anyone help please?

What do you want to store on the USB drive? Scripts or shared data?

Edit: Oh sorry, missed your first sentence.

Last edited:
I'm trying to set up a SanDisk Cruzer 64GB flash memory device to use as storage for my security cameras. It's attached to the rear USB port on my new RT-AX88U, but I can't even get it to format under the FAT system (the progress bar, if it starts at all, stops at around 6-8%.) I've tried using the NTFS format and although that does progress to 100%, I cannot create any folders on it from within the router's GUI. I've tried downgrading to USB 2, but same result. I can format and access the device on my PC. Also, I've tried a smaller SanDisk Cruzer (16GB) but that doesn't work either. I'm using Windows 10 and my router has 384.13 Merlin release. Can anyone help please?

USB sticks have been known to be less reliable than a HDD that is externally powered. I think you’d be better off by using a HDD

USB sticks have been known to be less reliable than a HDD that is externally powered. I think you’d be better off by using a HDD
I've used them on other routers (including ASUS) without any problems up till now. I don't know whether the following gives any clues, but this is the log from the NTFS formatting (I didn't get one for the FAT formatting because it didn't complete):-

/dev/sda is entire device, not just one partition.

mkntfs forced anyway.

Sector size is 512 bytes.

Volume size is 123174911 sectors (60143 MiB).

Cluster size has been automatically set to 4096 bytes.

Creating NTFS volume structures.

Creating root directory (mft record 5)

Creating $MFT (mft record 0)

Creating $MFTMirr (mft record 1)

Creating $LogFile (mft record 2)

Creating $AttrDef (mft record 4)

Creating $Bitmap (mft record 6)

Creating $Boot (mft record 7)

Creating backup boot sector.

Creating $Volume (mft record 3)

Creating $BadClus (mft record 8)

Creating $Secure (mft record 9)

Creating $UpCase (mft record 0xa)

Creating $Extend (mft record 11)

Creating system file (mft record 0xc)

Creating system file (mft record 0xd)

Creating system file (mft record 0xe)

Creating system file (mft record 0xf)

Creating $Quota (mft record 24)

Creating $ObjId (mft record 25)

Creating $Reparse (mft record 26)

Syncing root directory index record.

Syncing $Bitmap.

Syncing $MFT.

Updating $MFTMirr.

Syncing device.

mkntfs completed successfully. Have a nice day.

Your USB device doesn't have a partition table (which is quite common for flash drives). That might be confusing the router.

Download amtm and use it's Format Disk (fd) option.

Is there a reason you don't want to use EXT3/EXT4? Always better to use a native filesystem.

Is there a reason you don't want to use EXT3/EXT4? Always better to use a native filesystem.
My router doesn't give me a EXT2/EXT4 option, just FAT, NTFS and HFS

Attachments

• Screenshot - 17_09_2019 , 19_14_04.png
    Screenshot - 17_09_2019 , 19_14_04.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 307
My router doesn't give me a EXT2/EXT4 option, just FAT, NTFS and HFS
Huh, I never formatted through the webUI, always from SSH in the router, I didn't even know the router had that option. :)

If you have SSH set up, definitely installing amtm and using that to format EXT3 or EXT4 is the way to go.

I can't imagine that ASUS expect users to have to get to grips with relatively-complex procedures like logging in with SSH and formatting the USB drive to EXT.. I have always used the GUI in the past and never encountered any problems.
I have managed to discover that for some reason, Bitdefender Total Security was blocking the formatting of the USB drive to FAT, (it works while I don't have it on my system), but I still cannot create any folders to share, either by using my own Windows 10 laptop (wired or wireless) or my employers laptop. I did try formatting to EXT2 using EaseUS Partition Master but it still wouldn't work.

I'm uploading some screenshots from the GUI and here is the log from the successful FAT formatting:-

mkfatfs 3017.7.17.3

Device: "/dev/sda"

Volume Label: "CAMERASDATA"

Sector size: 512 bytes

Volume size: 123174912 sectors (63065554944 bytes)

Cluster size: 32768 bytes

FAT: 32 bits

Writing root directory...

Writing file allocation table...

Writing reserved region...

Writing backup boot region...

Writing FSInfo sector...

Writing boot region...

Syncing device...

Formatted volume "/dev/sda" successfully!

Attachments

• Screenshot - 17_09_2019 , 20_18_03.png
    Screenshot - 17_09_2019 , 20_18_03.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Screenshot - 17_09_2019 , 20_18_24.png
    Screenshot - 17_09_2019 , 20_18_24.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Screenshot - 17_09_2019 , 20_19_13.png
    Screenshot - 17_09_2019 , 20_19_13.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 252
amtm can create up to three partitions on an attached USB device:
Code:
Select partition(s) on device

(selected device name)

1. One partition (recommended)
   ext* filesystem only
2. Two partitions**
3. Three partitions**

*) ext2, ext3 and ext4 for newer routers
**) ext*, FAT32, NTFS or no filesystem

Linux file system will create issues in Windows, additional software is needed to read the files. Also, integrated in firmware volume check won’t work. I would suggest formatting the drive on a PC, creating the directories needed, then use it as needed. I’m a bit confused with the camera backup on a 64GB USB drive though. This is not enough space and constant recording will wear the drive quickly. I have a 4TB WD Purple drive in my DVR, for example.

Linux file system will create issues in Windows, additional software is needed to read the files. Also, integrated in firmware volume check won’t work. I would suggest formatting the drive on a PC, creating the directories needed, then use it as needed. I’m a bit confused with the camera backup on a 64GB USB drive though. This is not enough space and constant recording will wear the drive quickly. I have a 4TB WD Purple drive in my DVR, for example.
If he's storing camera video to a USB attached to his router, then I assume the USB is already shared (else how else can the camera access it?) so it doesn't need to be removed from the router to read the data on it, just mount the share on another computer.

If he's storing camera video to a USB attached to his router, then I assume the USB is already shared (else how else can the camera access it?) so it doesn't need to be removed from the router to read the data on it, just mount the share on another computer.

Everything is possible in theory, if you know how to do it and you have the time to do it. Since we are talking about security camera recordings imagine something happens, police arrives and the OP is not home, just his wife. What's the most convenient way to give them the recordings? Unplug the USB and hand it to them, of course! This is why the recordings are on a USB, for convenience.

Everything is possible in theory, if you know how to do it and you have the time to do it. Since we are talking about security camera recordings imagine something happens, police arrives and the OP is not home, just his wife. What's the most convenient way to give them the recordings? Unplug the USB and hand it to them, of course! This is why the recordings are on a USB, for convenience.
And being FAT formatted, pulling it without properly unmounting it destroys the data anyways! :)

And NEVER EVER give your only copy of something to the police. If it's lost, you're hosed.

And being FAT formatted, pulling it without properly unmounting it destroys the data anyways!

Won't destroy anything. Last file may get corrupted only in some cases.
USB memory sticks don't use read/write caching. And it can be NTFS formatted.

And NEVER EVER give your only copy of something to the police. If it's lost, you're hosed.

I can agree to this, but a USB memory stick may get lost at any given moment,
even without unplugging it. Those things like to die with no signs and for no reason.

Won't destroy anything. Last file may get corrupted only in some cases.
Never, ever, ever a good idea to pull out a usb stick regardless of the format, until after it has been unmounted (or the device shut down).
Those things like to die with no signs and for no reason.
See above :)

Personally, I'd use a proper NAS for anything security related.... preferably with cloud backup. IMO usb usage on a router should be limited to cache, scripts, etc only.

I’ve got 4 IP Cams with POE setup into a switch into my RT-AC86U running Merlin. USB3 or USB2 working with NTFS and SMB shared. Each of the HIKVISION cams require seperate formatting of the disk from the web UI. I point all of them to the shared folder location as a NAS and it just works. Got a surveillance HDD for it. Been no dramas for about 4 years now. Poor mans DVR but works quite well FWIW.

It only takes short vidoes when it detects movement and I've done it this way for several years without any problems.

I've found the answer to the problem now. I purchased a Toshiba 32GB drive from ADSA today and it works as expected, so it would appear that the SanDisk drive has some compatibility issues with the RT-AX88U.

You've solved it with another drive but I've found other forums saying that the 64GB cruzers show up as fixed disk as opposed to removable.

Not sure if Asus' or Merlin's firmware have issues with a disk reporting as fixed when you only use the GUI and whatever underlying scripts it uses to partition and format.

If you're doing something security critical it'd behoove you to learn basic CLI mounting and formatting. It's only about 5-15 minutes worth of reading