What's new

Using DOT DNS breaks ECS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tnpapa

Regular Contributor
I noticed that if I use the DOT version of Google DNS servers in the WAN settings, that ECS data is not being passed to Google. If I turn off DOT and just use unencrypted 8.8.8.8 then ECS data is properly sent to Google.

Is this a limitation of DOT in general or the implementation of DOT in Merlin?

In Merlin, using stubby for DoT, the firmware enables EDNS privacy, since it’s all about privacy. edns_client_subnet_private is the option enabled.

Only using a custom script.

Perfect, I will add this and give it a shot. I find my streaming services are much more reliable when ECS is passed. Yes I know the evils of Google, but at least I can stop my ISP from getting in the middle of DNS requests and injecting their own data.

Perfect, I will add this and give it a shot. I find my streaming services are much more reliable when ECS is passed. Yes I know the evils of Google, but at least I can stop my ISP from getting in the middle of DNS requests and injecting their own data.
Cloudflare Security works very well for me. 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2. It is a manual entry in DoT.

I noticed that if I use the DOT version of Google DNS servers in the WAN settings, that ECS data is not being passed to Google. If I turn off DOT and just use unencrypted 8.8.8.8 then ECS data is properly sent to Google.

Is this a limitation of DOT in general or the implementation of DOT in Merlin?

One probably doesn't want ECS for privacy and security reasons...