What's new

Using my phone wifi to provide my AC86U with net access?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ewokuk

Regular Contributor
Basically my home broadband has gone to crap for some reason. My 4g, which is usually 3x the speed of my home fibre is still fine. What I am wondering is if I can tether my AC86U to my phone using wifi and that provides the internet connection to all the devices that I already have connected to the AC86 without having to reconfigure them all (temporarily until my home broadband goes back to normal). Maybe it isn't possible without tethering it via USB but it would be so much easier to just do it via wifi. Is this possible? I am using latest Merlin on it.

Basically my home broadband has gone to crap for some reason. My 4g, which is usually 3x the speed of my home fibre is still fine. What I am wondering is if I can tether my AC86U to my phone using wifi and that provides the internet connection to all the devices that I already have connected to the AC86 without having to reconfigure them all (temporarily until my home broadband goes back to normal). Maybe it isn't possible without tethering it via USB but it would be so much easier to just do it via wifi. Is this possible? I am using latest Merlin on it.

What about using your phone as a hot spot and setting the same SSID?

What about using your phone as a hot spot and setting the same SSID?

I've tried that but the router also has my vpn on it which I need to have. I cant put the vpn on the phone as android tethering ignores any vpn you have on the phone.

I am testing USB tethering with an Android phone right now. Very easy to setup. Hardest part is finding where to enable the USB tethering in the router's GUI. It is on the WAN>Dual WAN page. Change Primary WAN to USB. Probably need a reboot of the router. After the router reboots you'll need to enable tethering on your phone.

If you have a second router:

Phone (( - )) Other Router <-----> AC86U

(( - )) = Wireless
<-----> = Wired

My phone with Android Q (v10) has an option to provide internet tether.

My AC86U (probably others) running Merlin .16 has the option described above under Dual WAN to use an android phone as WAN2 as USB connection (just use a standard USB cable to connect the phone), plus you can enable fall forward and fall back for primary WAN with android as secondary WAN. Worked well for me recently when internet was down for a few hours and my wife and 2 kids in school and I needed to have internet with us all working from home. I did have to caution the kids not to stream video :)

I’ve never tried it with my iPhone, but it seems to me that if I share my phone’s data over a cable in the USB port of the router, then engage and configure Dual WAN in the router’s GUI, I would likely be in business.

Now that I have the time, I SHOULD try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a extra SIM card and plug it into USB micro which goes in the back of the router.

No way. I don’t believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a extra SIM card and plug it into USB micro which goes in the back of the router.

There are some Asus models that can do that, like 4G-AC68U, but not the standard 86u.